Smog pump problem HELP!

:shrug: Alright, I just removed my smog pump today. Car ran GREAT for about an hour. Now this piece of **** won't even hold an idle. I mean SERIOUSLY! Everytime I start my car the son of a bitch dies instantly. If I don't hold the pedal down and keep the engine revving than it just DIES.

This makes absolutely no ****ing sense to me. How can my car run perfectly for about an hour and now it won't even idle. Here's what I did to remove the pump:

I removed the bolts on the pump and pulled it off leaving all of the hoses and everything still hooked up. Now, if you notice the hoses running off the back of the pump, one goes to the heads and other goes to the exhaust. Well, the exhaust hose was already cut off and capped. I'm assuming my aftermarket h-pipe doesn't allow for any smog hose to connect onto it so it's already been capped off. That only leaves the hose that runs to the heads.

What I did was cut the hose RIGHT BEFORE the brown metal pipes start, and then just left everything else in tact. Does that make sense? You know how the metal pipes are what runs to the heads and the rubber hose connects right to that metal pipe. Well, I just left about 4 inches of hose on the metal pipes and I capped off the hose with a bottle cap. Then, I used some black tape and taped the bottle cap on over the hose so that it was secure and wouldn't fall off.

What did I miss? :shrug:

Like I said, the car ran GREAT on my way to the auto parts store and then I get back to my buddies house and the ****ing thing won't hold an idle anymore. How does it run fine (better than ever) but now won't even stay running?

My buddy has a digital camera. Pics will be on the way shortly. I need some SERIOUS advice here b/c I have to make it home pretty soon and I don't know HOW I'm going to make it if my car won't idle.

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang3.jpg

Notice how I capped the hose off 4 inches before the metal pipe starts? Is this okay to do?
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/Hyper26414/Mustang2.jpg

THIS wire was plugged into the top of the far left black canister in the first picture. Is this what's causing my idle problems b/c it's no longer plugged into the canister b/c I removed the whole thing in the first place. Does this give the computer an air reading or something?
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/Hyper26414/Mustang1.jpg

The AIR pump itself shouldnt matter. If you have the slightest doubts, hook the solenoids back up (to make the puter happy).

I have the feeling something else was disturbed or not tightened up (like the MAF). It ran great till whatever was left loose fell off or got looser.

Good luck.

The AIR pump itself shouldnt matter. If you have the slightest doubts, hook the solenoids back up (to make the puter happy).

I have the feeling something else was disturbed or not tightened up (like the MAF). It ran great till whatever was left loose fell off or got looser.

Good luck.

It runs GREAT right now. I mean, when I'm cruising I feel a quicker throttle response and a few more horsepower. However, the car SIMPLY won't idle. AT ALL! It just starts and dies, starts, and dies over and over. The only way I can keep the car running is to give it gas.

I've even hooked the evap canister BACK UP and plugged the wire BACK INTO the canister and it STILL won't idle. This is ****ing annoying b/c my car is a daily driver and anytime I push in the clutch it dies. I followed the procedure word for word step by step in order to do this properly and now I'm even worse off than before I started.

Should I turn my idle up so the car won't die or am I missing something here?

I still dont think it's an issue related to the computer, via the smog equipment removal. Ergo you should not need to turn the idle up to compensate for anything you did. You can do this as a last ditch fix I suppose, but for now I'd leave it if you're trying to find the originating cause.

I'd dump KOEO codes and see if anything is stored.
Codes can be stored without the CEL being on.
This might give you a clue where to start.

Good luck.

I still dont think it's an issue related to the computer, via the smog equipment removal. Ergo you should not need to turn the idle up to compensate for anything you did. You can do this as a last ditch fix I suppose, but for now I'd leave it if you're trying to find the originating cause.

I'd dump KOEO codes and see if anything is stored.
Codes can be stored without the CEL being on.
This might give you a clue where to start.

Good luck.

Here's the thing:

I've already been having vacuum issues with this car whenever I push the clutch in due to my camshaft (or so I hear). The thing is, is usually I can slowly bring the car to a stop IN GEAR and then push the clutch in and the car will idle normally. If I were to slam on the brakes and the clutch at the same time I would run the risk of my car dying (losing vacuum too fast).

Now the car dies EVERYTIME I push the clutch in no matter how slow OR fast I'm going.

What's really weird is that the car idled GREAT when I first removed the smog pump and capped the hoses. And SOMETIMES I CAN get it to idle if I give it gas and then let it come back down to idle. So the car actually CAN idle (sometimes) every once in a while. But for the most part it just dies as soon as it fires up. :shrug:

See "Surging Idle Checklist for help with all your idle problems. The first two posts contain all the updates to the fixes. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.

I'm actually in the process of doing that right now at this very moment. The problem is, is WHY am I having idle problems NOW after removing the smog pump. Like I said, I was having a LITTLE idle problem before I removed the pump and plugged the hoses, but NOW my car won't even idle at all.

I take that back, 1 out of 10 times I can get my car to idle by giving it gas for a minute and THEN letting it idle. BUT, I shouldn't HAVE to give my car gas just to make it idle. This morning and every other morning I would start my car and it would idle just fine.

I'm just so frustrated b/c the problem I'm having right now is DIRECTLY related to me removing the smog pump. I just can't seem to figure out what I'm missing here. Look at my pics up top and tell me what I did wrong b/c I'd love to fix this problem.

Mine don't have a clutch, but it was actin just like yours. And when I hit the brakes and slowed down the slower I got the worst the idle would get and when I stopped sometimes it'd shut off and sometimes it would bairly hold idle. And come to think of it, don't know y I didn't think of it before. It all started when I unhooked all the hoses from my smog pump. I'm guess the extra vacuum caused that like to break. That and dryrot.lol

I just had this problem today to. Hoses were going to crap. Also, whatever that hose is that you have in a pic, try pluggin that and seeing if it works. Where was it going to?

definetely sounds like a vacuum leak to me!!!! Some things are just coincidental... try to ignore that you took the smog pump off.. and just chase out that vacuum leak.. get a vacuum gauge.. what vacuum are you getting??? Mine is 22.