So what did Ford really do to my car??

gotchopsticks

Sep 4, 2004
when i first bought my car it still had the warrenty in place, and i ended up destroying 3rd gear by shifting too fast with the stock shifter, and grinding 3rd pretty hard:bang:
so i took the car to a ford dealer and said it just started griding one night. in the service report it said they replaced 3rd and 2nd gears. i later took it back with more complaints about wierd noises and they looked up the history and were very confused on the 2nd/3rd work. even the mechanic that worked on the car had no idea. from what i understand, 1st and 2nd are always replaced together, 3rd and 4th together, and 5th and reverse. so what did they really do to it??
thanks

correction on the title: Ford (im using a new laptop, not quite used to the sensitivity, sorry)

• Sponsors (?)

thats possible, but like i said, the only gears stated on the repair order were 2nd and 3rd. the service writer and the mechanic said nothin about TSB, and were confused to why and how only 2nd and 3rd were replaced. not to my suprise, the tranny ended up granading a few months later when i was on the freeway...now i have a brand new one that isnt much better than the first...:nonono:

RandyStinchcomb said:
1st and 2nd are one syncro and 3rd & 4th are another, so all 4 were replace, its just the way it was written or worded.

are you sure??
i tore apart a t-5 once and there were more than just 3 syncros for the 6 gears. there isnt one syncro per gear??

yes Im sure, even on a T-5 the 1st and 2nd syncro was only serviced in the output shaft as an asbly and the 3/4 syncro was one unit also. now on a T-45 or 3650 there is a 1st and 2n syncro (1 asbly) and a seperate 3/4 syncro (1 asbly), now the "blocker" rings are another story.

SOunds like the performed the TSB.

I don't understand how the service writer didn't think of this. It's only one of the biggest complaints about the 2001+ Mustang.

As for the synchros, they are paired up in groups with one slider working two gears. On the T-5 and t-45, 1-2 are a pair, 2-3 are a pair and 5-R work together (some early t-5's do not have a synchroed Reverse)

Mention TSB 04-15-6 to them.

Mustang5L5 said:
SOunds like the performed the TSB.

I don't understand how the service writer didn't think of this. It's only one of the biggest complaints about the 2001+ Mustang.

As for the synchros, they are paired up in groups with one slider working two gears. On the T-5 and t-45, 1-2 are a pair, 2-3 are a pair and 5-R work together (some early t-5's do not have a synchroed Reverse)

Mention TSB 04-15-6 to them.

alright, thanks :nice: