Something bad but lucky too...

2nd Mustang

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2002
Southern California
I took my 67 Coupe out of storage today and drove it to the market before going home. I loaded my groceries into the Stang and started to leave the parking lot when a young lady started to walk in front of me, so I stopped to let her cross and she gave me a nice smile and thank you gesture. That made me feel good, but then the car just died. It cranked but wouldn't start so I put it in reverse (4 speed manual) and used the starter motor to back me up into a parking space. If I had not stopped for the young lady, it would've died on the downhill slope in the rush hour traffic.

It turned out to be a dirty and corroded spade tip connection on the ballast resister on my Mallory coil. Oh what joy driving an older classic.

• Sponsors (?)

My mustang has left me stranded more times than I care to remember. It's the little things that kill you... even after a complete rebuilt you're bound to have a bolt back out or something.

I feal sorry for those people who think it would be cool to own a classic, but don't know how to fix it when these things come up.

I feal sorry for those people who think it would be cool to own a classic, but don't know how to fix it when these things come up.

The irony is that I had just bought a simple 12 volt test light last week and threw it in the trunk. Twelve volts to the coil but no spark out of the coil wire. I had it running before the tow truck driver showed up. He was nice enough to follow me home to make sure I got there. :nice:

Well, that's how I started out, and for the most part still am, but slowly and surely im learning. I dunno, growing up I didn't much opportunity to work with cars. I understood the concept of how an engine worked, but not much is truely learned put into practice. I have learned so much through the forums and through my own disassembly of parts and curiosity of the car. I've done small stuff to the car like install a tach, replace moldings, paint emblems, and stuff, but I have yet to dive into the engine compartment yet. With graduation tomorrow I'll have a lot more time on my hands and hopefully repalce the wiring harness, and later on with the help of my uncle or family friends i'll learn the ropes of an engine. I'd like to eventually rebuild the engine but first I'd like to replace flywheel becuase it has some missing teeth (its the original one) and every so often when you start up the car a metallic grinding sound comes out, ppl on the forum said its the flywheel or starter motor gears must be replaced. this summer while the engine is out when replacing flywheel i'd also like to repaint the engine compartment and engine itself.

2nd mustang, glad to hear you're alright, haha kinda reminds me of that coke a cola commercial.

vintage cars are just as reliable as modern cars, just not for as long:D :D as long as you keep up with the required maintenance, a vintage car will almost never leave you stranded. our vintage cars do require maintenance far more often than a modern car does.

vintage cars are just as reliable as modern cars, just not for as long:D :D as long as you keep up with the required maintenance, a vintage car will almost never leave you stranded. our vintage cars do require maintenance far more often than a modern car does.

Regular maintenance might lessen your chance of being stranded, but that doesn't mean that it will never happen. I've owned many classic Mustangs over the years. The one thing I've learned is that when you least expect it, expect it. Old cars can leave you stranded at any time. That's why I always carry some tools and a jump box in the trunk just in case. And like rbohm said, old cars need alot more preventative maintenance.