Spark plug woes....Any Ford techs here???

SilverBullet00

Jul 5, 2004
Wichita, KS
Two months ago I replaced my spark plugs with the stockers I got from the dealership. Everything was fine untill about a month ago when the car was idleing really bad. I checked many things over, but I finally found it was caused by one of my spark plugs backing out. The plug loosend about a 1/16th of a turn but it was loose enough to force some oil in the spark plug well.
So I tightend the plug and all was good, untill today. SAME PROBLEM. I know there was a thread awhile back about using lock-tite on plugs, anyone ever tried using it or had a similar problem as me?

Is it possible my threads are stripped on my head?

Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

Who the hell knows. My stang has 66k on the clock with probably the stock plugs. The car is stock right now minus a K&N filter that I got free, so I really dont see the need to change them yet as ford rates the platinum plugs at 100k. If I was modding it, that might be different. Im almost scared to change the plugs...I deffinately dont want stripped heads.

In case there you do wind up stripping the spark plug threads,
there is a tool , "Back-tap" which spins straight into the plug hole past the damaged area, then engages the undamaged threads. As it is spun back out, it catches the shavings. check out http://www.starproducts.com

It is $ 49.95 (no whining about the price, as it's much cheaper than paying someone to R+R the heads and have the stripped hole repaired)

I hope they do a recall. Its weird because I am only having problems with one cylinder. Do you guess think I need to take any kind of action for the oil all over the plug? To I need to change a gasket? Or worse piston rings?

I dont really know much about the rotating assembly..

Also, if I got some MPH stage 2.5 (or any aftermarket head) heads would they have the same problem, not enough threads for the plug?

TripleBlk said:
I usually put a shop vac nozzle around the plugs before I pull them - gets the sand, dirt, oil etc. out of the way

i do the same or use my air compressor and blow it out before i take them out. right now as a matter of fact im in th emiddle of doing that, since i blew my intake up and have to swap it out...

also two of my plugs the tips burnt completely off, whats does that mean??

how would the valve cover be leaking to cause the threads to come out with oil???the reason i ask my 97 has 99k miles and every 3k miles it needs a quart of oil.i change the plugs today and 2 plugs #2 and #3 had oil in the threads.im hoping its not the rings,if its the valve cover gasket its a lot better.also which are the best plugs i bought the motorcraft platinum(stock ones)the ones it had seem like they were the factory ones, very worn!!!sorry for hijacking the thread.

I have the same problem. front cylinder on the driver's side. It always has a black crup on it and my car misses. With nitrous it isn't going to live long. I don't "Nas it" anymore. I am saving for an MPH longblock. I did locktight all my plugs. If it ruins the heads, it ruins the heads. They're history soon anyway.

The plugs that keep backing out on me are no's 3 and 4. No 4 actually blew out of the head while starting the car at the movie theatre. It was then that I found No 3 to be very loose. I don't really know what to do, just check them every 3000 miles and retighten...thanks Ford...