spark plugs do matter

• Sponsors (?)

You don't like having your jeans ironed?

:shrug:

Sounds great to me. Underwear, bedsheets, iron it all in my book.

Yeah, sliding into a bed with nice flat sheets is almost as good as... well... tuning up a rough 5.0 and tossing all the AutoZoo parts and a car payment worth of preciousmetalmagictenwaybonfiregreatnewNASA plugs right into the garbage and hearing it purr like a happy little lion cub with Motorcraft and copper :D

Meh -- Id much rather stick with the mfg that the oem calls for -- and the type the oem calls for -- never had any issue what so ever and ive had some sick rides ; from my granny driven stocker 5.0 to my 943whp turbo 351 (which uses two step colder COPPER plugs).. go figure.

-G

And being a licensed electrician -- along with my pops being one for over 50 years -- ive learned something --- you can't really beat copper for conductivity in a 'performance ignition' application.

In a heavily boosted application, how does iridium compare in terms of overall performance (how well it lights off the mixture in that torrent atmosphere)?

It has always been my understanding that iridium plugs will do wonders on engines where spark blowout is a problem(ie high boost). With the smaller electrode and hotter spark it is able to sustain a longer spark in a high boost environment. Problem is I cant seem to remember exactly how I came to this understanding :D crapola

From NGK's website.
54.jpg

Iridium

Iridium is a precious metal that is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum, it has a 1,200(=F) higher melting point than platinum and conducts electricity better. This makes it possible to create the finest wire center electrode ever. Prior till now, platinum had been favored for long life or performance spark plugs due to its high melting point, also the technology did not exist to machine and bond iridium on a spark plug electrode(at least in a cost effective manner). Iridium industrial spark plugs have been around for years, but still sells for over a hundred dollars per plug. Just now is the technology available to effectively use iridium in a spark plug for automotive applications. The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium allows NGK to manufacture their iridium ultra-fine wire center electrode to 0.7mm. One of the finest firing points in the industry! (Thus far there has been no problems reported regarding use of iridium plugs with nitrous oxide.)