Steeda Triax shifter installed...I think I have big troubles?!

Bottomlesspit

I started the longest tech thread in the known uni
Founding Member
Jan 1, 1999
Del Rio, TX
Hey guys.
I got my Steeda Triax shifter installed today...looks great. New leather boot, the works.
I already have the steeda clutch , firewall adjuster, cable, etc.
I was hoping the new shifter would help, but not looking too good. When I took over the car from my son I noticed it was slightly grinding each time going into 3rd gear if shifted too fast. Slow shift, or shiftin into 3rd while slowing down had no grinding.
Well, today I was out for the first drive with the Steeda shifter and oh crap...shifting into 3rd is major grinding now. No way to avoid it during acceleration. It grinds pretty hard, but does go into gear.
This is bad because we just don't have the money for repairs right now...2 kids college expenses is killing us. To top it off, each time I shifted into 5th gear on the highway, it made a grinding sound and would pop out of gear! I couldn't keep it in 5th gear.
I'm feeling a bit bummed right now. I was so excited to have a nice shifter to use...like I had back in my 93 vert (Pro 5.0).
Any suggestions for anything I can do to help this, or is this just the way it will be until the tranny falls out the bottom?
Thanks for listening.
Ken

• Sponsors (?)

You may not be getting full clutch disengagement due to a worn/stretched clutch cable however since 3rd gear seems to be grinding more than others leads me to believe someone tried slammin gears at one point and ate up the synchro which would result in a rebuild. Good luck..

Ken, I haven't been much help on your threads, so let's keep the trend going. Is there the slightest chance you have the upper stop turned in too far? Because you mentioned issue with 3 and 5, that's what first came to mind.

Good luck with it. :nice:

How is your clutch adjusted? You said it got worse are adding this stuff, so you may have adjusted it improperly. Also, like Hissin said, how are your shift stops adjusted? This wouldn't make it grind going into gear, but it could be why it's popping out of 5th.

Thanks guys.
I have had some experience with aftermarket shifters and setting the stops. Still, I went ahead, as some of you suggest, and rechecked the stops. They appear as they should be, with a slight gap resting, and just touching when pushing the stick firmly. I have backed off the stops anyway to see how it effects things. Won't get to test drive it until tomorrow.
I have played with the wirewall adjuster some. It seems the cable is pretty tight, but when I push on the clutch pedal it gives about an inch, then gets tighter the rest of the way to the floor. I will report back.
Thanks again guys. I sure don't have the cash for a tranny rebuild right now. Third was pretty bad...only gentle granny shifting was acceptable.
Oh man...not what i need. Thanks again.
Ken

So long as the gears themselves aren't too worn, a tranny rebuild should not be terribley pricey; the synchro kits aren't that expensive. May want to look at rebuilding it yourself if you have a friend with a press?

You may not be getting full clutch disengagement due to a worn/stretched clutch cable however since 3rd gear seems to be grinding more than others leads me to believe someone tried slammin gears at one point and ate up the synchro which would result in a rebuild. Good luck..

How is your clutch adjusted? You said it got worse are adding this stuff, so you may have adjusted it improperly. Also, like Hissin said, how are your shift stops adjusted? This wouldn't make it grind going into gear, but it could be why it's popping out of 5th.

This is where I think your problem is.

Ken, I haven't been much help on your threads, so let's keep the trend going. Is there the slightest chance you have the upper stop turned in too far? Because you mentioned issue with 3 and 5, that's what first came to mind.

Good luck with it. :nice:

Never hurts to check this as a contributing factor.

If none of the above help your problem, you may end up replacing some synchros.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I will check around and see if I can find anybody that has some experience working on these things. I haven't ventured further than replacing a clutch and flywheel, so the upper stuff is totally foriegn to mel I tightened up the cable some more tonight so I wll see how it goes on the way to work in the morning.
I have a feeling I'm shifting on borrowed time???
Ken