Still hot start problems

00 Red SS

Jan 22, 2003
Grain Valley, MO
I put in a new coil, tried a new dist. w/ tfi and still having problems. Once the cars gets hot it wont restart without giving it gas and then it will sputter for a second then a second or 2 later the rest will fire and its fine. When cold it starts its fires right up with no throttle like a normal car. Is there anything else i should look into like 02 sensors? I just tried a different ect sensor that worked on the previous car should i buy a new one? Sorry to keep bugging you guys but this is keeping me from driving it anywhere besides to the shop and back.

• Sponsors (?)

any codes?
what brand of parts did you use when replacing parts? some are better than others.
how is FP when it wont start?

Had the same problem on my '89 Notchback...fuel pump relay checked out fine, so I installed a new fuel pump and it fixed the problem. I don't know if your situation was the same as mine, but here's what was going on with me... When it was cold out my car ran fine, when the weather warmed up, and started driving a bit, my car would buck and stall, and would not start until my car cooled down. If this is similar to what you are going through, you might want to think about a new fuel pump. good luck!

Hmmm, the car doesnt buck at all and its never just shutoff on me. However it probably has the stock pump and it was a 4cyl, next week ill order a new bigger pump and bigger nitrous jets, theres another excuse for a new pump i guess.
On a side note this thing is killing me $100 at a time, by the time it runs good something will break or it will time to put it up for winter :bang:

I've been dealing with this for a while also. I think the LTs may be heatsoaking the starter. When my LTs first went in I began having the hot-start problem. The car basically behaves as if the battery is drained, which was not the case. If I let it sit for a bit and cool down, it would start...but would turnover slowly. As you mentioned I have to get on the gas. If it cools down "completely" it fires up like it should. Like you I've tried everything I can think of. I never had this problem before. It came about immediately after the long tubes went in.

I replaced the stock starter with a mini-torque and the problem went away. That joy was short lived.

I looked at the starter the other day and it is badly scorched on the side facing the header. That can't be good. lol I bought a heat reflector (starter wrap) and will be trying it out tommorow. I'll let you know if anything changes.
Whatever the problem is, it as annoying as *ell. :notnice: