Stock rear gear vs. 3.55's

flubyu

Jan 5, 2009
I've got a 1994 Mustang GT with flowmasters and a bbk cold air intake. In looking at future modifications I'm considering 3.55s for the rear. Im wondering if anyone has proof as to how much they improve overall acceleration and what the before and after quarter mile times are with the gears and without the gears. Thanks for your time.
-flubyu

• Sponsors (?)

you can knock off a few tenths by switching to 3.55 or 3.73s from stock gears. Its well worth the investment belive me, everyone else who as done it will say the same thing.

Absolutely the best mod for seat of the pants driving fun is gears :nice: I think 3.73s are the best choice for a 5 speed car unless you're making huge power...then back it down to 3.55s. You'll love the new gears!

I do enjoy putting highway miles on the car so i think the 3.73's would be a bit too much. thats the main reason im loking into the 3.55's as opposed to the 3.73's

373's will turn about 125 more rpm at highway speeds than 355's

Having said that ... I'd do the steeper set ;)

Ford Mustang: Mustang Tech: Calculators & Decoders: RPM Calculator

Run the numbers for yourself :)

Grady

I went with 3.73 and wish I went 3.90 or 4.10... I drive 100 miles a day, 50 on the highway (typically at 80-85 mph) and the remainder at @55 mph (country roads)... They are nice in traffic and on the highway...

Don't Fear The Gear!!!

BTW I have over 60k on my gears and I still love them...

WHEN I swapped out my 2.73's for 3.73's, my gas mileage increased by 4 mpg. it was definitely a lot more peppy. i guess with the 2.73's, the engine would lug more. hell, on the interstate, i got 24mpg with the 3.73's when the rest of the car was stock

I get 20mpg when I don't floor it with 3.55's. Honestly, why do I even need that? I think, o if I ever do 100 I dont want the car to be too noisey...I never go that fast! I wonder how fast my stroker would be to like 60mph if I put in 4.10's and street slicks? :ninja: :SNSign:

What stock gear do you have? If you have 2.73 which came in some stick cars...a 3.55 will be much impoved, but I would do with a 3.73. If you have a 3.27 which came in some auto cars, a 3.55 will not be an improvement. I'd still go 3.73.