Suggest a short block, Finally got H/C/I combo on the road and my engine is cooked

ram360

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2002
Pennsylvania
Well that pretty much says it all. Just got the car done last saturday. As some of you know it's an 83gt converted to fuel injection 91 mass air engine, p heads, b cam, etc....etc... Details in sig for those that don't know. This car has spent more than 2 yrs in my garage. Wiring was a big deal considering I had to track down every piece of it from several 89 gt's to get the electrical system on this thing up to par. I did the H/C/I swap on this car a little more than a year ago and never got to run it due to the wiring issues that I needed to corrected. Needless to say I finally finished and got to hear the car run for the first time in a little over a year. While I was at it, I made sure to surround myself with an array of autometer phantom gauges just to monitor all the vitals since I really don't trust the factory stuff too much. Anyway I took the car out for a ride today after working out some minor problems. It ran good and I was pretty happy with everything however, after taking a quick glance at my oil pressure gauge I realized something was wrong. My oil pressure was aroud 40psi at idle when I started the car. After it warmed up I started to drop and would only go up if it reved the engine. By the time I got home stopped the car it would idle w/ something like 5psi of oil pressure. So it look like my oil pump and/or main bearings are shot. I'm not planning on investing anymore time or money into this stock bottom end so I'm looking for a new short block for my car. I have other obligations right now and I'm not looking to drop a huge chunk of change into this car. I just need a decent 302 or 306 short block to bolt and and be done with it. I just need it to hold on a year or two until I have the time to work on a bigger and better engine combo. Anybody have any experience w/ remanufactured engines from autozone, etc..... Like I said it's got to be cheap. Sorry guys no DSS, etc.... Any help would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

Check E-bay. If you search for Ford 306, there's a company that usually comes up with rebuilt 306's for like $895 shipped to your door and comes with gaskets and new oil pump. I'm not sure how long they last or how the quality is though, maybe somebody else would. I think it came with like a 6 or 12 month warranty or something like that.

tmoss said:
Get a good lower mileage Explorer engine from a JY. You can sell some parts and reduce the cost.
I second that. Comes with the junkyard price yet still the tuff and reliable factory build of a 302! Considering a lot of stuff on them is of the GT-40/cobra hardware, you can pick and sell whatever you want for good change on ebay yourself.

Well a friend of mine ended up having a 302 from an 89 gt laying around. Needless to say the price is right so that's what I'm going to go with for now. Like I said it's only got to last me a year or so and probably less than 10k mles in that period of time. Hopefully not asking too much from a 90,000 mile bottom end. In any case since I'm not dealing with a new motor what should I look for before I drop it in? I really don't want to have any major problems like this again for a little while. I'm just using the bottom end so what should I do to check for any potential problems etc... Just want to make sure it's in good enough condition. Thanks guys.

Do a leak-down on the donor car engine just to see if you get blowby around the rings. 90K is not a lot for a well maintained engine. When you pull the heads on the donor, you'll be able to see what condition the cylinders are in.