suspension help

ren

Oct 11, 2007
West Los Angeles
been around these forums for a year or two now, never really had a reason to post because of a car that sat and no money to fix it, however things have changed and its time to make some things happen and i would like some advice

car is a white 1995 GT Coupe had one original owner who stripped the car and decked it out with some very nice parts including engine and suspension and used it as a track car. car was eventually stolen and recovered but the owner lost all interest in it as a result and took all the performance parts and put them in his 67 fastback. the 95 GT was then rebuilt with the stock parts which had been sitting (unclear on how long) until my brother stole the car for basically nothing and ran it into the ground over the course of two years. then i got the car which was in fairly terrible shape, rod issues old suspension dents which i had sit until i could get funds and was driven minimally

fast forward to last month i had the original 5.0 torn out which ran terrible and was pushing 155,000 miles and replaced with a junkyard 5.0 also out of a 95 with around 80,000 miles. the shop did a great job car runs like a clock now and i am thoroughly pleased :) (well despite still being a stock 5.0 at least for now)

chased down some issues after the install like AC and a CEL which have both now also been resolved and the drivetrain is sound (planning a 3.73 gear install and underdrive pulleys)

yesterday went out and got some new shoes 17" 2003 cobra's machined finish 17x9's in the front with 275's and 17x10.5's in the back with 315's. absolutely love them changed the whole look and feel of the car and they fit havent noticed any rubbing yet. these are a huge improvement over the stock 16's the car had with 245/50's all round which were pushing 3 years old and VERY hard. ride quality improved very much with the new rubber

(sorry about the essay above its just nice to finally get to be able to talk about a working car) :D

so now onto the question, the suspension definitely needs work, it rides fairly harsh and does not do well with the notorious los angeles roads, the tires helped but its gonna need some more

car is lowered currently with tokico shocks and struts and not sure what springs and not sure if there are caster camber plates in the mix. after doing some research im seriously considering the maximum motorsports starter box kit for the SN-95s which come with (

* MM Road & Track Springs
* MM Caster/Camber Plates (select Black or Chrome finish option)
* 2 Bilstein Struts
* 2 Bilstein Shocks
* Front and Rear Urethane Spring Isolators
* MM Urethane Pinion Snubber

with all the recent work on the car it would be nice to keep the cost low and i think all those parts would drastically improve the ride quality of the car for now and compliment the new drivetrain well. despite obviously wanting more haha this is about the limit of funds for now at least. my plans for the car are fairly mild by this forums standard, no drag racing street racing or even track use for now, with the stock motor running well for now i would just like a great looking car which drives great, rides great, sounds good, and that i can be proud of

here are some pictures

First two are from around halloween of '08 with the engine thats seen much better days
004.jpg

005.jpg

And the rest are from yesterday's wheel swap
091.jpg

095.jpg

098.jpg

099.jpg

101.jpg

can get any opinions on this kit and how it will affect the ride quality based on my goals for the car? thanks in advance and sorry about the long post!

• Sponsors (?)

Knowing what you have for springs might help. Tokicos are decent dampers.

How do the front LCA bushings look? Rack bushings?

What is the issue exactly? Is it overly harsh when going over potholes?

It definately has lowering springs in it. Most lowering springs are about the same, and I wouldn't waste money replacing those. Tokico's are totally decent shocks and struts too. I wouldn't mess with those either. I would spend the money on a new set of upper and lower control arms for the back instead.

Kurt