T-5 to 4R70W swap. What do I need?

JH96GT

Founding Member
Aug 20, 2000
Twilight Zone, TN.
I'm thinking of going to an auto (torn cartilage in left ankle) and am looking hard at the 4R70W's. I've got a lead on a 95 4R70W.

Will that year model work, and what else will I need to swap my T-5 to this? It is going in a 1986 Capri. I've tried searching, but haven't found much.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The 4R is the next gen of AODE and does work with a 5.0L engine. You'll need a means of controlling the trans since it's electronic.

Get with Mansonozz - he put a 4R in his fox.

From what I've read got one out of a 4.2 99+ truck. They are rated at 450 an have the right bolt pattern for a 5.0. you will need a stand alone computer too. If you were closer I'd see about trading you my fairly recently rebuilt aod (with upgraded torque converter an input shaft an valve body) for your t-5.

From what I've read got one out of a 4.2 99+ truck. They are rated at 450 an have the right bolt pattern for a 5.0. you will need a stand alone computer too. If you were closer I'd see about trading you my fairly recently rebuilt aod (with upgraded torque converter an input shaft an valve body) for your t-5.

Just my luck.....lol

Thanks for the info guys. (Thanks Hissin, I'll get in touch w/ Manson :nice:)

How do I tell the difference between the AODE and the 4r70W? Also, how easily can I beef up the pre 98's? If this one out of a 95 is indeed a 4R70W, then I'm basically getting it for free.

Thanks for the info guys....