T5 gears

Cwalk

Sep 25, 2006
Virginia Beach, Va
Does anyone know where you can buy the 2.95 first gear and the .68 overdrive gear for a T5? I tore my tranny up. So I bought another one out of a 93 GT for $450. It was going to cost me $1100 to get my old one rebuilt. The 93 is supposed to be a little bit tougher anyway. So I'm thinking I want to get those gears to improve acceleration just a lil bit more. I'm also in the process of getting some 4.10's.

• Sponsors (?)

You're lookin at about $700 just for the parts including a rebuild kit, then if you have someone else do it, you're looking at $200 to $400 on top of that. You can damn near buy one new for that price. If you build it yourself then its just barely worth it.

You're losing gear multiplication in first but you're gaining a close ratio gear set. If you drag race alot then its worth it to have a close ratio gear set, however, its not worth it to have stock T5 internals because they are not well suited for the abuse of drag racing.

If I were going to build a T5 for drag racing, or even for a road coarse I would go with a GeForce gearset. It will cost a few hundred more, but it wont break. If I were building one for the street, I personally would go with the 3.35 gear set because I like the extra gearing down low, because my current, and my new combos make power at high rpms.

You're losing gear multiplication in first but you're gaining a close ratio gear set. If you drag race alot then its worth it to have a close ratio gear set, however, its not worth it to have stock T5 internals because they are not well suited for the abuse of drag racing.

If I were going to build a T5 for drag racing, or even for a road coarse I would go with a GeForce gearset. It will cost a few hundred more, but it wont break. If I were building one for the street, I personally would go with the 3.35 gear set because I like the extra gearing down low, because my current, and my new combos make power at high rpms.

That's understandable. But wont the close ratio keep you in the higher rpm's? On a NA car? I can understand if boosted because then you would want as much gear as possible. But if it's NA wont the close ratio help you hit the high rpm's?

The 3.35 gearset isnt geared well for a modified 5.0 when you have gears like 3.73s. Cars with the 2.95s pull much nicer and smoother through the gears, theres no delays and your not eating up through the rpms so fast in first. Its like a much easier transition if that makes sense. Plus the 2.95 gearing makes the trans last longer. Hence why they are sold aftermarket.