Progress Thread Tannerc91gt’s Build(s) Thread

Went flea market hopping today, looking for a welding table. Which I did not find. But I did score a bench grinder and chop saw for a bargain. Both of which I needed.
IMG_5603.JPG

Gotta get those damn initials off!

Made some mounting tabs for the intercooler and mounted it. I'll have to pretty them up a bit at some point.
IMG_5637.JPG
IMG_5672.JPG
I ended up going back and spacing the intercooler towards the car about 3/4".
This, along with some cutoff wheel-ing action let me reinstall the bumper cover.
IMG_5692.JPG

Barely hangs below the cover. I'm happy with it. Needless to say, real estate is becoming scarce. Somewhere in there a radiator needs to be. Also have to modify the water pump and thermostat housing to make room for my passenger downpipe. No big deal there really.

IMG_5736.JPG
IMG_5655.JPG

I ordered my transmission Monday, hopefully it'll arrive late next week. My AHP welder will be here Thursday so assuming I get an argon bottle by then I'll be able to play around a little bit.

Reactions: 6 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Went flea market hopping today, looking for a welding table. Which I did not find. But I did score a bench grinder and chop saw for a bargain. Both of which I needed.
IMG_5603.JPG

Gotta get those damn initials off!

Made some mounting tabs for the intercooler and mounted it. I'll have to pretty them up a bit at some point.
IMG_5637.JPG
IMG_5672.JPG
I ended up going back and spacing the intercooler towards the car about 3/4".
This, along with some cutoff wheel-ing action let me reinstall the bumper cover.
IMG_5692.JPG

Barely hangs below the cover. I'm happy with it. Needless to say, real estate is becoming scarce. Somewhere in there a radiator needs to be. Also have to modify the water pump and thermostat housing to make room for my passenger downpipe. No big deal there really.

IMG_5736.JPG
IMG_5655.JPG

I ordered my transmission Monday, hopefully it'll arrive late next week. My AHP welder will be here Thursday so assuming I get an argon bottle by then I'll be able to play around a little bit.
That looks super purdy.:nice:

I've thought about that but truthfully if I have to do any cutting of the engine bay it'll all get cut off. Then the turbos can be swung out wider and the factory width radiator will fit. I wanted to run an a2w deal to alleviate all of this
Which group is that? FBA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fast foxbodys

Bear with me here, this is taking a lot more thought than I had hoped it might and it helps to talk out loud. Any input is welcome.

Came in the house frustrated that I can't seem to make everything cooperate, decided to leave it alone and try again tomorrow.

Of course all I did was come inside and think about it. So eventually I wandered back out with a half-assed plan.
IMG_5806.JPG

I flipped the intercooler and rotated the turbos in and up thinking it might help me make way for a radiator. Which for the most part it did.
IMG_5787.JPG
I removed the spacers (don't have a picture) and the intercooler sits in a pretty good spot for the charge pipe to be out of the way. I'll still have to move the turbos back a bit this way so no change there. Only problem that will create is some downpipe routing problems. Feel like I'm chasing my tail here sometimes. First time down this road though so I suppose that's par for the course.
IMG_5795.JPG

The cardboard cutout represents the radiator I found earlier in the day I was hoping to use. Not completely out of the question yet I suppose. Just need to get the headers cut back so I can really see what kind of space I have. This core support might be the worst part of my car though, so it will definitely have to get replaced.
IMG_5801.JPG

As a backup plan, I ordered some straight 3" vband to t4 flange adapters so I can see if I like the turbos better this way.
IMG_5770.JPG

As you can see the turbos are in the apron area, but they're larger frame turbos so who knows if I'll have that issue. It keeps the turbos high (no scavenge pump for me) makes room for the intake pipe, makes routing the downpipes far easier and hopefully still leaves a good amount of room for hose routing below. A pair of $30 flanges away from finding out.

Which group is that? FBA?

Fast foxbodys . FBA sometimes is quite comical too . It was so bad at a point that I had to unfollow the group so I didn't get the notifications all day of the dumb :poo: going on in there and resist commenting .

Bear with me here, this is taking a lot more thought than I had hoped it might and it helps to talk out loud. Any input is welcome.

As a backup plan, I ordered some straight 3" vband to t4 flange adapters so I can see if I like the turbos better this way.
IMG_5770.JPG

As you can see the turbos are in the apron area, but they're larger frame turbos so who knows if I'll have that issue. It keeps the turbos high (no scavenge pump for me) makes room for the intake pipe, makes routing the downpipes far easier and hopefully still leaves a good amount of room for hose routing below. A pair of $30 flanges away from finding out.

From the looks of it,...If you have to go w/ a backup plan, your aprons will go right along with that.

So,...I see I'm not the only one who brainstorms on here. Usually for me though, by the time I write out what I'm thinking, I've already either made up my mind, or answered my own questions. That engine really looks good in there. I always wondered why no manufacturer made a reverse spinning impeller and a compressor housing to match it, so that both compressor housings could be clocked the exact same way.

Maybe I'll look into that.

Last edited:
I always wondered why no manufacturer made a reverse spinning impeller and a compressor housing to match it, so that both compressor housings could be clocked the exact same way.

Maybe I'll look into that.
Nelson racing does, they call them mirror turbos. I'm not sure I can even find the pricing on it but if you're familiar with Nelson you know it's far more than a sane person would spend.

Reactions: 1 users
On a side note Mike, I do have a plan B in the works.
I ordered a different intercooler.
IMG_5861.JPG

Planning to flip it like I did the other. From most angles it'll still have the symmetrical look im after but I'll take the pipe down and around the core support so i can run a regular radiator. No more trying to go over or under it.
Lot of trial and error so far with an emphasis on error

Reactions: 1 user
IMG_5868.JPG
This will work a lot better. Once I plug the heater core lines off the water pump and cut those mounts off I'll have room for downpipes and radiator lines. Don't mind the fact that it's crooked, I just it in there for a reference it's not exactly right.
IMG_5882.JPG

Still has the symmetrical look I was after as well.Still going to try turning the turbos 90* on Thursday just to see if I like it better by chance.

Been learning about remote water pump setups the last couple nights . Don't think I'll HAVE to but damn if it doesn't look good and get even more crap out of the engine bay. Only have to run an alternator after that.
Trying to stay focused on the finish line here lol.

My list if big stuff has shrunk enough to see light at the end of the tunnel. Only a few big purchases remain. Otherwise just a matter of putting in the hours.

Converter
Fuel system
Engine management

Reactions: 4 users
I don't see how this solved any problem for you, the impellers are eating what would be the radiator side tanks. What are we gonna do about filtering them? and why are we sucking air past the radiator that they're smashed up against?

IMG_5922.JPG

Well I can rule that idea out at least. Got called in for a couple extra days of work but my welder will finally be here tomorrow so tomorrow night I can finally stop screwing around and get something done

IMG_5939.JPG
IMG_5940.JPG
IMG_5941.JPG

Finally shipped today. In all of its stock
Bell, stock case glory.

Edit: my conscience got the best of me and my transmission builder hooked me up with an awesome deal on an ultra bell so it looks like I'll be taking a cutoff wheel to my new transmission when it gets here

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
this was my Christmas/birthday/laborday/arborday/etc present from my wife, The rest has come from me literally not doing anything else with my life.
She's been great about it all so far but I don't think she realizes just how far there is to go lol.

IMG_5961.JPG

I wouldn't call myself good by any means but I'm getting it sorted out enough to hopefully not have :poo: fall off going down the road

Reactions: 2 users
Screwed around with pulse settings and heat ranges, as well as switching from foot control to the hand control for a bit. I feel a lot better about it after a few hours. Obviously these are by no means show off pictures, I'm more than willing to admit that I've got a long ways to go but damn it's fun :D
IMG_5962.JPG
IMG_5970.JPG
IMG_5979.JPG

This stainless is proving to be a little more difficult. The little stringer up top was my last attempt for the night, sort of kind of resembles a weld. I also welder two stainless elbows together which is also pictured. Will have to practice a lot more before I give the headers a shot.

Knocked something small off the list today. This has bothered me since I got the car. I don't mind the shorty antennas, but the missing trim piece stuck out like a sore thumb. Rather than find the part to repair it, I opted for the Cobra R delete piece. Something like $10 from American muscle I think.
IMG_5985.JPG
IMG_5987.JPG

FedEx dropped off the replacement intercooler so I hung it on the car. As you can tell it's going to need some adjustment, more time than I had to give today.
IMG_5990.JPG

Also spent a little time working on stainless tubing today. The bead really isn't awful, it's just hard to see through all the "crud" which I'm having trouble eliminating. maybe it's too much gas, maybe not enough heat, it's knowledge I don't have as of yet. Nevertheless, it's function over looks at this point so at least I know I'll be able to build what I need to. Back to the YouTube welding school I go.
IMG_6001.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Painted stock case isn't the prettiest but the powdercoated parts are nice.
My bell will be here tomorrow, not sure I've got the nuts or desire to install it though
IMG_6065.JPG
IMG_6066.JPG