The "CAI" is NOT a "performance" modification.

• Sponsors (?)

Ah see this is why I decided to post this topic..I would LOVE to find a product that works over my stock system..but would have to be proven. I will take a look at the AMF, but I'm still cynical. Since going from a 65mm to a 70mm TB yeilded no gain in terms of performance for my vehicle I can stand by my statement that the stock inlet provides more than adequate air "volume" for a 302 N/A set up.

I agree that a CAI isn't a great performance mod, but i also don't see anything wrong with putting it in your signature. There isn't anything wrong with being proud of something you put on your car even if it just makes your engine look nicer. I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

I would enjoy testing this "snail" intake your speaking of...does anyone have one of these laying around..I would love to try one. Thanks JT for the support, I just love stirring it up now and then. Fact is the "standard" CAI like the BBK/MAC/UPR is nothing more than a company ass grab to take advantage of the unknowing..I think the false claims stink..just not right. Perhaps as stated the AFM inlet works, but I just don't see any "true" gains to justify the price.

I for one think they look FANTASTIC..if not for worry about problems it MAY create with my cars performance, I would in no way be opposed to having one in place. Hell your talkin to the guy who purchased the billet hand brake cover..lol.

vristang said:
Blah, Blah, Blah.:rolleyes:

Post the dyno sheets please.:D

I personally can't imagine 20hp from a CAI. But, I can also see how an increase could be realized. Maybe more from smoother airflow, than the cold air affect. I will wait to see dyno sheets to make my decision. Also please post what other mods had been made to the vehicle, and any important dyno specifics like ambient/underhood temp of each test.

I will still hesitate to think that 20hp can come from this mod, but keep in mind that just like any test the results can be skewed if the test is not conducted properly.

Also, how is it that a CAI can cause erradic MAF readings as described? I have not heard of this before and am curious as to how the CAI affects the MAF.
Yeah,,I just happened to have some of his dyno sheets lying around, :nonono: ,,Im not the one in disbelief,you wanna see,go to his web site and SEE :D I said "12",not 20!! Plus some of that 12hp is from the larger maf!! I cant see 20 either!! Although I see some big gains with the svt Cobra'!!

Here is your Dyno Graph for all you non-belivers.

Or just ask Rick 91GT .
3inch.jpg

88_GT_5_oh said:
so what about a wing.. that still adds HP right? or was i lied to again? damn ricer friends

Of course it adds hp silly :p

Its placed on the back so its superior to thous "front" engine modes because you get instant rwhp,skiping the normal front hp gain and giving you only rwhp.

:D :D

bluevenom867 said:
Of course it adds hp silly :p

Its placed on the back so its superior to thous "front" engine modes because you get instant rwhp,skiping the normal front hp gain and giving you only rwhp.

:D :D

whew... glad the previous owner did the "wing swap" for me :nice:

willys1 said:
Yeah,,I just happened to have some of his dyno sheets lying around, :nonono: ,,Im not the one in disbelief,you wanna see,go to his web site and SEE :D I said "12",not 20!! Plus some of that 12hp is from the larger maf!! I cant see 20 either!! Although I see some big gains with the svt Cobra'!!

None of my comments were meant for any one person. :D

I pose the challenge to everyone (both believers and naysayers), to post dyno sheets. Otherwise old wives tales will continue to prosper, turning us all into dumb ricers:(

I agree that a cold air is mostly just a show piece. However there is nothing wrong with listing it as a performance mod, Id bet even the worst cold air kit is worth one or two HP over stock just because of the free flowing filter.
I personally skipped the cold air and added a replacement K&N filter, I dont list it as one of my mods, but it did drop .10 and added 1.5 MPH in the quarter mile.