Progress Thread The Only Part Of A Chevy You Don't Have To Tow (until Now), Into An Sn95.

• Sponsors (?)

good DL.png

Just in case anyones interested, heres a screen grab of my latest log.
The Yellow is Actual AFR, the blue is target and the green below is RPM
The big lean spikes are decel, there are actually settings to have the injectors cut off entirely (i guess for fuel conservation?) but id prefer to use the fuel for cooling.
you can see on the RPM line where the signal drops off. Holley says this is ok, but if I start seeing it in upper RPMs ill have to change out the cam sensor

Appologies for the images that come up sideways, upside down, etc.
I post on mobile and they all look correct there. Then I pull it up on desktop and they're all caddywompus :shrug:

Looks great! Glad to see it almost ready to rock and roll!
You could lean your idle table out a little more if your at 13-13.5 now. I typically like the idle a/f's in the 14's

good DL.png

The Yellow is Actual AFR, the blue is target and the green below is RPM
The big lean spikes are decel, there are actually settings to have the injectors cut off entirely (i guess for fuel conservation?) but id prefer to use the fuel for cooling.

Explain how adding fuel to a cylinder on decel causes a "cooling effect". If you add fuel, and the fuel is ignited and burns, the combustion would create heat, not a cooling effect. By cutting off all fuel on decel, you are just pumping air through the cylinder, which in my opinion would create more of a cooling effect than actually having a combustion process. Yes?

Explain how adding fuel to a cylinder on decel causes a "cooling effect". If you add fuel, and the fuel is ignited and burns, the combustion would create heat, not a cooling effect. By cutting off all fuel on decel, you are just pumping air through the cylinder, which in my opinion would create more of a cooling effect than actually having a combustion process. Yes?
See you'd be pumping at that point HOT air, which is all relative I guess so I see your point.
I guess (I'm not trying to pretend to know more than I do here) the idea is fuel that you aren't igniting, within a reasonable amount, has a cooling effect within the cylinder.
I'm not trying to push anything as fact here, just repeating info I picked up from another holley user :shrug:
I had just decided not to mess with the feature while I had so much else to learn
Looks great! Glad to see it almost ready to rock and roll!
You could lean your idle table out a little more if your at 13-13.5 now. I typically like the idle a/f's in the 14's
Thanks Nick,
I think I'll do just that :nice:

I think if the fuel were being introduced at the carburetor flange, it would provide some kind of intake charge cooling, but at the ports it wouldnt really do anything.

See you'd be pumping at that point HOT air, which is all relative I guess so I see your point.
I guess (I'm not trying to pretend to know more than I do here) the idea is fuel that you aren't igniting, within a reasonable amount, has a cooling effect within the cylinder.
I'm not trying to push anything as fact here, just repeating info I picked up from another holley user :shrug:
I had just decided not to mess with the feature while I had so much else to learn

Thanks Nick,
I think I'll do just that :nice:
Just to play devils advocate here:fuss:......So the air that is being compressed on the compression stroke with no fuel is going to be hot, but, is it going to be hotter than the piston or combustion chamber that it is being compressed in. Now take that same air and add fuel and ignite it. Which will be hotter? And then the whole "fuel that you aren't igniting, within a reasonable amount". How do you get to that? How do you only burn some of the fuel during combustion, but not all of it, so that the fuel that does not burn somehow causes a "cooling effect"?:scratch: Again just playing devils advocate.

Just to play devils advocate here:fuss:......So the air that is being compressed on the compression stroke with no fuel is going to be hot, but, is it going to be hotter than the piston or combustion chamber that it is being compressed in. Now take that same air and add fuel and ignite it. Which will be hotter? And then the whole "fuel that you aren't igniting, within a reasonable amount". How do you get to that? How do you only burn some of the fuel during combustion, but not all of it, so that the fuel that does not burn somehow causes a "cooling effect"?:scratch: Again just playing devils advocate.
See I don't entirely understand the concept myself. I guess my original post makes it sound like it's something I was doing, which at the moment I'm not.
But to play along....
The air is NOT going to be hotter than the chamber, so there's cooling to a certain extent. Definitely on your team there.
I think the theory behind it is using fuel that you're NOT igniting to cool the cylinder during decel instead of cutting the injectors entirely.
My issue with it there is then HOW are you not igniting that fuel? Almost a decel 2 step of sorts?
Interesting concept, but maybe over my head
It was on an LS swapped miata the guy road races, I can find his posts probably

I suppose a person could cut the ignition and let the fuel actually cool the engine somewhat.............but it is the big "Bang" in the exhaust when all of that un-burned fuel lights off when you throw the ignition back on that makes that a non starter.

Reactions: 1 user
update:
worked on the car today, somehow got literally nothing done.
ive been off work for 2 weeks now and I go back tomorrow so real life has kicked me in the nuts temporarily

Whoever (Noobz) changed the title of my thread...

:rlaugh:
It shall stay

The Only Part Of A Chevy You Don't Have To Tow, Into An Sn95.

Stop it. I can't find the thread when you do that............

I just watched the video on page 13 of thread. Sounds frkn awesome. That is going to be a beast going down the road. I plan on running 40 series FM's on mine. Curious on what it will sound like though.

Stop it. I can't find the thread when you do that............

I just watched the video on page 13 of thread. Sounds frkn awesome. That is going to be a beast going down the road. I plan on running 40 series FM's on mine. Curious on what it will sound like though.
Thanks mang. It's quieter with the pipes for sure, and they'll probably come back off for track days but I'm good with it for now. Hopefully we'll get some rolling video next week. Really itching to drive it.
chevy and flowmaster dont go together, flowmaster and mustang go very well together, chevy longtube and dump before axe ^^ sound best. or SLP
Exhaust note isn't really a concern on this build. Put enough motor in front of the muffler and it becomes irrelevant

Reactions: 1 user
Ordered a fuel level gauge (this thing sucks fuel so no gauge really isn't an option) and a pigtail for my inputs/outputs on the holley. Which was $1,500. You think they could spare $5 worth of wire and connector but I guess $63 extra works

Gauge :$48
Pigtail :$64
Explaining arbitrary things: priceless

Last edited: