The stang may have to go...

Hey all
So next fall I will be attending university and will need a more fuel efficient vehicle for commuting (I would probably travel 100kms or so per day). My two current vehicles are the mustang, and a 1996 5.0L explorer.... both far from being "good on fuel"
I would keep the mustang and DD it, but I don't want to put a crapload of kms on it, and driving it in the winter would most definitely kill me...
My plan is to sell the mustang in the spring and (most likely) get into a new (more fuel efficient) vehicle (not sure whether I want to buy new or used at this point). So I want to hear what ideas you guys have for me as far as vehicles go.
I personally really like the new cobalt SS (turbocharged) and could get a new one for around $24,000 off the lot
Here's my list of things I would like to have in the vehicle:
-Would prefer standard transmission
-Has to look good (I'm 18, so no grandpa cars lol)
-Must be either front or all wheel drive (so its able to drive half-decently well in winter)
-Would like it to be a domestic vehicle

I have considered the subarus but they are really expensive.
I don't mind making payments on a vehicle, but the cobalt price is probably at the top of my budget

Thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

What is "good" on fuel in your mind. I mean my stang gets 25-28mpg on the freeway driving at about 70mph. I figure your explorer is much worse, just get rid of that and get a cheap 4cy 4x4 pickup, and drive the stang on the weekends. My buddies 90 toyota 4x4 with the 22re motor gets 30mpg all day long on the freeway. If thats not "good" then I can't help you there.

Oh and 60 mile commute would not justify the cost of a new more fuel efficient car in my mind. Figure to justify the cost of a new car i would need to be commuting 100 mile daily.

If resale is even a remote concern forget about the cobalt :notnice: Wonder why resale is sooo poor :rolleyes:

I would stay *** for reliability, resale, etc if your relying on this car for daily transportation and need it for a long time.

Mazdaspeed 3, civic si, or maybe a used subi driven by grandpa with 10k on the odometer.

But whatever you do good luck :nice: good to see you thinking with head at that age. Plenty of time for toys in the future.....

So you're looking for a car that will get not much better MPG (super/turbo Cobalt), that will cost $24k, when you'll only be able to sell your GT between $4500-$6k, and you're worried about the Mustang and Explorer being bad on gas?

Those monthly payments will far surpass your gas bills for your cars, then add the gas for the new car on top of those payments and it kind of starts to not make sense. Take it from someone who is going to college full time and not able to work full time as a result - having less bills (as in no car payment) is VERY, VERY, VERY helpful.

So you're looking for a car that will get not much better MPG (super/turbo Cobalt), that will cost $24k, when you'll only be able to sell your GT between $4500-$6k, and you're worried about the Mustang and Explorer being bad on gas?

Those monthly payments will far surpass your gas bills for your cars, then add the gas for the new car on top of those payments and it kind of starts to not make sense. Take it from someone who is going to college full time and not able to work full time as a result - having less bills (as in no car payment) is VERY, VERY, VERY helpful.

I was just assuming his parents were involved...... :shrug:

You probably won't be able to find a new Cobalt SS by next spring, since they don't make that car anymore. Besides, the new V6 Mustang has a better fuel economy rating, and is more powerful than a Cobalt SS for about the same or a little less money.

If fuel efficiency is a higher priority than power, have you thought about the new Fiesta?

Nah a Fiesta won't do lol

I will get more than 6k for my car around here garanteed

I was also thinking of making my explorer my only vehicle and investing the money that I got from the sale of the mustang towards the down payment of a house (after 4 years of university, I want to do that for sure)
But keeping in mind, the explorer is a 14 year old vehicle with 215,000kms on the clock as it sits, I thought it would maybe be better to invest in something a little newer so I don't have to worry as much about things going wrong with it (like the **** transmissions that are in them).
Honestly, putting kms on my mustang like that just won't do, and don't even think about trying to talk me into driving it in the winter (I live in Alberta, Canada)

I guess my only other option would maybe be to import a subaru or something from the US??
I am not too keen on a pickup truck, but would maybe consider one (definitely not toyota though)

V-6 new Mustang will get 31+ on the highway and will outrun your current Stang in almost every category..... well every category. They are cheaper then the POS Cobalt and with the GT apearence package are quite handsom cars. Plus they have an excellent stability system now.

So you get power, performance, mileage, safety, stability, great handling and awesome looks! Seems like a no brainer to me. :shrug:

V-6 new Mustang will get 31+ on the highway and will outrun your current Stang in almost every category..... well every category. They are cheaper then the POS Cobalt and with the GT apearence package are quite handsom cars. Plus they have an excellent stability system now.

So you get power, performance, mileage, safety, stability, great handling and awesome looks! Seems like a no brainer to me. :shrug:

i dont think he would want to go that route with the winters they get up there thats not gonna get around too good

I'm with laserSVT on this one, I don't really see the point in blowing 24,000 on a new car just to get 5-10 more mpg. It is going to take a hell of a lot of driving to make that a worth while investment. Rear drive cars are fine in the snow, some sandbags in the trunk and snow tires will get you a lot further than any fwd car in the snow. AWD and 4wd just helps you get up to a more dangerous speed quicker on the snow and ice, it really has very little benefit as far as drivability in the snow. Just my .02

1. Sell the exploder
  2. buy a cheap beater that gets good mpg
  3. bank the money that would be payments for a house down the road

:stupid: :nice:

Very rational advice if you want to hang onto the Mustang.

OP - Don't limit yourself to just domestics if you replace the Explorer with a commuter/beater, research the older imports for their proven reliability (ie - Camry, Accord, Civic, et al). Those things will run until the end of time in most cases and allow you to bank LOTS of money...

OP - You sound like you're still in high school or perhaps just heading off to college? :shrug: If so, another course of action would be to sell both vehicles, get yourself an all around beater/commuter car, bank the money while obtaining/paying for your education, then concentrate on landing a solid job after college. Once that's done, find yourself that house you want and a REALLY nice car.

In the meantime, start learning how to make sound financial decisions (not that you don't know how to already). Read up on how to be smart with your money; Howard Clark (Google his website) provides good examples.

YMMV, of course. G'luck. :cheers:

Yeah I just graduated this past june and now am working full time.... and that makes me REALLY want to go back to school.
I have decided against buying a brand new vehicle, and have started to look at some used ones. I'd totally buy a new V6 stang, but I think it wouldn't be a good idea to blow all my money...
Right now, my main priority is to save for a house, and I thought that by selling the mustang and the exploder, I'd be able to pocket some money to invest for 3 or 4 years to put towards a house.
When I look for a vehicle in the spring, I will do my best to keep an open mind about makes (although my dad may disown me if I do end up buying an import)

Thanks for the help guys!

1) Dump Explorer.

2) Find 6 cyl 'Stang rims and throw on Blizzaks (all four corners)

3) Mount to car for winter

4) 150lbs in the trunk

5) cost of tires and rims covered by sale of Explorer

The only thing stopping you from saving money is you.

I love driving my 04GT in the winter.

Snowmustangphoto.jpg

Dude, seriously, my wife has driven the 'Stang during blizzards with 4+ inches of snow on the road and even more in parking lots; what's your excuse?

dont drive a nice car in the winter in calgary! Omg the car will be full of holes and chips from the gravel they pile on the roads its not even funny. Get a beater or a used car, not a pretty car or you will be heart broken. The salt sand and gravel will eat new cars for breakfast( they use sand and gravel because salt doesnt work in the temps that calgary gets for weeks on end -20 and below C.)

dont drive a nice car in the winter in calgary! Omg the car will be full of holes and chips from the gravel they pile on the roads its not even funny. Get a beater or a used car, not a pretty car or you will be heart broken. The salt sand and gravel will eat new cars for breakfast( they use sand and gravel because salt doesnt work in the temps that calgary gets for weeks on end -20 and below C.)

Thank you.

I will not drive the stang in the winter for this reason. My buddy has an 03 GT and he drove it for one Calgary winter, and his bumper and hood is all chipped from rocks.
I spend a considerable amount of time on paint correction this summer, and would like to have as little to do in the future as possible.

the 5.0 is pretty bad on fuel (about 480kms to a 72ish litre tank)
I wanted the explorer for the AWD for the winter