Thermo vs Restricter

1/4 Mile Style

Mar 13, 2004
Im replacing the waterneck gasket & bought a 160* to replace the restricter plate that I was told was in it. I havent taken it off yet so I dont know what size it is.

The car runs pretty cool like it is (havent wired up the fan thats already on the car). Usually doesnt get over 190* with normal driving. I like to keep my cars really cool though.

Would there be any advantage to running the thermo? From a logical standpoint, if the waters constantly circulating all the time (with a r. plate) its seems like that would keep it at its coolest. IDK..thats why Im looking for advice...lol

Set up is stock water pump w moroso elect drive, stock rad, & 16" elect fan.

TIA, Jon

• Sponsors (?)

John, since you have temp-based components in the car (fan, pump drive), I'd run the stat. If the car runs hot with a performance t-stat, there are other issues to attend to.

If you autoX the car hard, that'd be a time to consider the restrictor plate.

Good luck.

stock ecu is designed to run a 200deg engine, go with a 195 or 180 at the least. I live in one of the hottest states in the US and run 195 year round

Would there be any advantage to running the thermo? From a logical standpoint, if the waters constantly circulating all the time (with a r. plate) its seems like that would keep it at its coolest. IDK..thats why Im looking for advice...lol
no thermo stat at all, actually runs hotter in some cases, water has no time to absorb the heat from the block and no time to relese the heat in the radiator