This is why you buy a scatter sheild.....

Aliate X

May 9, 2005
Rockland NY
Hes lucky he has his legs still.

http://www.hondahookup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134270

780-027.jpg

780-034.jpg

780-036.jpg

780-039.jpg

780-050.jpg

780-053.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

It's a plate that is attached to the front of the bell housing between the clutch and engine. The idea is to protect you in the event that your clutch/flywheel explode at high RPMs (more common than you'd think).

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=LAK-15726&autoview=sku

actually it replaces the whole bellhousing. if a clutch/flywheel were to explode it would make the stock bellhousing turn into dangerous shards of metal that could go flying through your floor. i like my legs where they are so i picked one up a few weeks ago:D

actually it replaces the whole bellhousing. if a clutch/flywheel were to explode it would make the stock bellhousing turn into dangerous shards of metal that could go flying through your floor. i like my legs where they are so i picked one up a few weeks ago:D

Uh no....a shield is a shield, as i put in that link. You can/should also opt for the SFI approved bellhousing to go along with it, which is required at most race tracks after you reach a certain ET.

Here's a McLeod bell housing/plate combo, but they're not always used together. I used to have just the plate on my C4 combo.

mcl-8660_w.jpg

On that show Musclecar, the Bald Dude put an LS1 and T56 into an old Nova and he had some strange looking Blanket that he wrapped around the Bellhousing, I cant imagine that it would retain much.

Uh no....a shield is a shield, as i put in that link. You can/should also opt for the SFI approved bellhousing to go along with it, which is required at most race tracks after you reach a certain ET.

Here's a McLeod bell housing/plate combo, but they're not always used together. I used to have just the plate on my C4 combo.

mcl-8660_w.jpg

Sorry man, but a scatter shield is in fact a "blow proof" bellhousing. The plate itself really only provides protection from dirt and debris entering the bellhousing (The stock setups come with an aluminum one). If you use just the plate in which the class requires a scattershield you will not be legal…nor protected. Think about it, the dust plate is assembled before you attach the flywheel, clutch assembly etc. If it decides to let loose it's going to blow straight up through the bellhousing…hence the need for the scattershield.

I can't tell you haw many customers I try to steer into a blowproof when I am building these motors. I have seen a stock car do it, let alone a health 500hp engine. I have seen the flywheel come up through the floor dash and partially out the cowl when one broke on a 7000rpm launch. We've broken then and bent the **** out of a blowproof, but walked away with all 10 toes...

$350 is nothing guys compared to what our feet it worth, every manual trans owner should have one.

Alright guys,

I may be wrong on this, but isn't a scattershield the blanket that wraps around a trans in case of a catastrophy like this, and a blowproof bell is like the lakewood piece. They both have the same purpose. Other than that, BUY THE Blowproof bell, and walk away. Power always exploits the weakest link, and when you throw some sticky tires on a car, those hairline cracks in a flywheel, can be the end of your legs.