This Ricer needs converting !!!!!!!

RemedialMoFo

Nov 28, 2004
Just kidding about needing help with my love life. I will be a Fox lover until the day she takes my life. I own a 93 coupe which is being converted with every goody that makes a 03 Cobra what it is. I happen to own one that was rolled so my project begins. I'm sure I'll get a few low blows for asking this. But I believe that this site is really about friends helping friends no matter what their daily driver is. Well, I guess I'll come right out with it. I own a BMW Z3 roadster which is my daily driver. I basically bought the car because I haven't met one chick that doesnt dig the hell out of it. I still get a little upset in traffic when I catch some chicks checking me out knowing it's just because of my ride. Not like I'm ugly or anything, I'm just not stupid. I just have flashes of high school when I got not love. But I'll continue to see this as an advantage for the very short time I have with my lil import. I plan to sell it by 06 to help pave the way for modular madness. Holy Hell I'm sure this tread is getting way too long by everyones standards. So anyway this question pertains to my Z3's shifts. The problem started happening when I downshifted hard into 3rd from 4th taunting a G35. Once I needed to get back up to 4th it wasn't there so shopped around and found 5th. I stayed in 5th thinking about what broke then I tried looking for 4th and it was there from 5th. I parked and ran through all my gears while in nuetral and it was fine for 3 or 4 upshifts and downshifts. Then on a set of upshifts I was locked out of 4th, so I went to 5th then back down to 4th and found it like that. A couple of times I was even locked out of 3rd and 4th so this was fixed by getting into reverse first. Basically I cant find 4th while driving unless I hit 5th first. And when coming to a stop and running through the gears I used to slow the syncros down I have problems with getting 2nd and 1st. But just about every lil quirky thing that happens is solved by jamming it hard in 5th of rev with the clutch in. Now I know the engineering of a BMW is like apples and oranges when comapared to a Ford. So I'm not expecting you to tell me how to fix it just maybe some insight on where to start. I know that was hella long and I truly appreciate it if you made it this far. But if you know a friend that didnt tell him I wont hate. Much Luv Dez

• Sponsors (?)

shttygtstang said:
get that hippy bmw s h i t out of here no bmw talk jk but realy you should go to a bmw forum get more results :nonono:
And avoid hilarious comments like yours:rlaugh:, I would never. Sure the thought had crossed my mind. But the last time I messaged a bimmer board was years ago when I owned a 735il. I spend hours and hours reading past posts here and have grown acustom to being here. I'm sure as the hours roll on the thought of a broken peter will set in and I'll seek wiser knowlege from the crooked BMW mechanic that I have grown to despise so much. But until then this is where I feel I belong even if every single member replies:shrug:

Shtty, please dont take offense - you know i kid you every now and again, but for perhaps the first time on a thread, your post was NOT the most difficult to decipher. (hey, i guess that is a compliment). :)

RMF, i have no idea what you are talking about. if there is a question in all that somewhere, please cut and paste it into a new post so tech people can read it and reply. please supply specifics on the trans in your Z3, etc.

good luck.

Hey guys You have to see the humor in the question I posted. Being that I posted a question to a board full of Ford fanatics. I did this hoping for a lil comfort knowing I would get a handful of people poking fun of me. I can't fix it anytime soon if it's serious. I recently lost my job due to being laid off. But if I end up with some good laughs and maybe one idea as to what it could be so be it.

HISSIN50 said:
Shtty, please dont take offense - you know i kid you every now and again, but for perhaps the first time on a thread, your post was NOT the most difficult to decipher. (hey, i guess that is a compliment). :)

RMF, i have no idea what you are talking about. if there is a question in all that somewhere, please cut and paste it into a new post so tech people can read it and reply. please supply specifics on the trans in your Z3, etc.

good luck.
I downshifted hard into 3rd from 4th then the only way I can get into 4th is if I get 5th first. I can run in every gear though. Sometimes I cant get into 1st other times its 4th all the time it can be fixed by getting into 5th or fev whichever is closest to the gear I can't get into. The problem is constant. Does it sound like a tranny problem, old stock shifter, or maybe some linkage. It feels as if maybe something on the bottom of the shiifter seems to be jammed.

the linkage is screwed up... happened to mine on my audi A4, u there is a nut that tightens to grab the linkage that goes into the transmission box. It basically needs to be tightened... either that or u screwed up ur synchros bad by not clutching enough. basically if u pull it out of gear without using the clutch it will do this to any trans. It just pulls the synchros apart... see if that helps at all.

had a friend grenade the cat. converter on his z3 trying to beat me (98 gt....smoked him all motor lol) and JUST THE PART was $1700.00
Good thing he got the good warrentee!
If i were you I'd drop my pants, turn around, bend over and let Bubba the BMW Dealership have his way with you :)

You have tranny problems, no doubt, sounds like syncros. As far as telling you what to do I don't know. I would certianlly look towards funanin suggested. I guess you could try to rebuild it, or find a Junk Yard tranny, but I would even look into a Tremec tranny. They make trannies for many cars, both domestic and european. If you call tremec they might be able to help you, thier tech support is very helpfull. Your BMW could only dream of breaking a tremec.

or look for a ZF trans. not sure if you car came with one (many high end Euros do), but they are actually a decent trans.