Thumper heads: stock injectors and intake?

• Sponsors (?)

Black96VertGT said:
2 questions for those of you who have Thumper heads:

Did you use the stock injectors?
Did you use the stock intake?

thanks, chris

Injectors will be fine. Might wanna hit up Tmoss and have him port that lower intake for ya or go with an aftermarket.

I ran a completly stock fuel system until recently. I had no fuel problems, but I am planning on more power down the road and I ran on a good deal on my fuel setup, so I went ahead and bought it. 19#'s work fine, I would upgrade the fuel pump first.

willys1 said:
Thumper heads are a great upgrade.But the stock lower intake chokes the motor.You wont get the full potential out of the heads if you keep the stock intake.
i know, but i need to stay within my budget. that's why i sent a pm to tmoss, to get a price. porting the lower intake probably costs less than buying a new one. when the cash presents itself, i'll upgrade the intake.

Your better off doing it all at once, the cost of gaskets (which you will need Fel-pro 1250's with Tmoss intake) and the time put into it, I would just spend the extra $130. Also, the spring upgrade on the thumper's is a good idea if you plan on any more lift at all.

Black96VertGT said:
i know, but i need to stay within my budget. that's why i sent a pm to tmoss, to get a price. porting the lower intake probably costs less than buying a new one. when the cash presents itself, i'll upgrade the intake.
The intake is already gonna be off,,scrape together 130 bucks and do it at the same time!!! The combo is good for 60 or more HP :nice:

90mustangGT said:
Your better off doing it all at once, the cost of gaskets (which you will need Fel-pro 1250's with Tmoss intake) and the time put into it, I would just spend the extra $130. Also, the spring upgrade on the thumper's is a good idea if you plan on any more lift at all.
ok.

http://www.hunterstyle.com/thumper/combos.php

what about the combo with the cam/timing chain w/3 position key way? is that a good deal for ($890) or am i better off with the $695 deal? will the "E" cam work with a 1995 manual tranny (the web site says it is for AOD cars)? i don't want the "B" cam because the idle will be too rough for my liking (read that "my wife will probably notice it!")

Black96VertGT said:
ok.

http://www.hunterstyle.com/thumper/combos.php

what about the combo with the cam/timing chain w/3 position key way? is that a good deal for ($890) or am i better off with the $695 deal? will the "E" cam work with a 1995 manual tranny (the web site says it is for AOD cars)? i don't want the "B" cam because the idle will be too rough for my liking (read that "my wife will probably notice it!")

Since you are on a budget, I would go with the head combo with springs and the Timing chain. The stock cam isn't a bad peice. I ran the stock cam for a while with my combo. Many have had sucsess with retarding the stock cam 2-4* to give it more top end. Honestly, your better off this way until you have more done to your motor and then getting a custom cam. I got my cam for $70, but don't think it is all that great, Bcam.

90mustangGT said:
Since you are on a budget, I would go with the head combo with springs and the Timing chain. The stock cam isn't a bad peice. I ran the stock cam for a while with my combo. Many have had sucsess with retarding the stock cam 2-4* to give it more top end. Honestly, your better off this way until you have more done to your motor and then getting a custom cam. I got my cam for $70, but don't think it is all that great, Bcam.
got it. plus, that will free up a couple hundred for a lower intake!

last question: what lower intake should i get?

For my intake I bought a GT 40 upper and an explorer lower intake off of ebay. Cost me like $175 plus shipping so like $200. Then I had tmoss port the lower out to FEL 1250 intake gaskets. Very nice job by the way. I still owe him some dyno #s but I haven't been able to make it down to have it dynoed. But I think for tmoss to port it was like $120 and that included return shipping. so all told I have about $340 wrapped up in the intake. But I still gotta get it dynoed and then put a set of heads on it and dyno it again and see what I get.

I believe that with the aod thing thumper is just saying that they work well with the aod cars by increasing low end torque but since I don't have them I am not sure. Just my take on it.

More than likely your wife will notice either cam - your vert is heavy; an E or a B cam is gonna really soften up the bottom end - and the heavy vert will exacerbate that. I'd stick with the stocker. Thumper's heads and tmoss lower will really wake things up and they'll keep the bottom strong.

90mustangGT said:
The stock cam isn't a bad peice. I ran the stock cam for a while with my combo. Many have had sucsess with retarding the stock cam 2-4* to give it more top end.

Don't advance or retard you cam until you get a degree wheel and see what your cam's actual valve events, lobe centers and duration are - other wise it's just a shot in the dark and you might get it wrong. I took the info off my 87 cam and Buddy Rawls told me to run it 4° advanced with my new P heads, Explorer intake and MAC 1 5/8" shorties. He also recommended running the P heads WITHOUT modifying the head exhaust runner. He only charges like $40 for choosing an off-the-shelf cam to match you combo best or running his calculations to tell you how to install your cam if you have enough info. He can also spec and send you a custom cam when your ready.