Thumpr cam?

Maryland Stang

Aug 21, 2002
Greenville, NC
In the latest issue of 05 Mustang they have a short blurb about the new Comp Cams Thumpr cams for Chevys. The reason they put it in 05 Mustang is because Comp is supposed to be making a version of it for the 5.0.

I have noticed that a lot of their "series" cams are pretty much the same whether it be Chevy or Ford. Has anybody looked at this cam and what did you think?

http://www.thumprcams.com/

• Sponsors (?)

trueblue01 said:
They sound good but i don't think the 107 LSA would be very computer friendly. I would also like to see power #'s compared to other cams.

Well Comp has designed it for use with computer controlled vehicles. The reason they made the cam was to get big cam sound while still maintaining driveability on basically stock engined cars hence the relatively low lifts. Power is not really the reason for this cam although they do claim it makes pretty good power.

Why the big deal about a car that doesn't idle good because of a lumpy cam? I would much rather have a nice smooth 650-725 RPM idle and a killer power band than a galloping idle. The car would be much easier to drive in daily traffic.

jrichker said:
Why the big deal about a car that doesn't idle good because of a lumpy cam? I would much rather have a nice smooth 650-725 RPM idle and a killer power band than a galloping idle. The car would be much easier to drive in daily traffic.

This is the reason I think this is such a neat cam.

Comp went through the trouble to design a cam that makes the big nasty sound while still allowing the cam to have decent manners as is required for daily driving.

They already had (obviously) cams that made the lumpy idles but along with those cams you had to have compression ratios, heads, intakes, exhausts, etc. to match the cam. To get that big lumpy sound required a considerable investment in other parts.

And it isn't like this cam is going to lay down and die in a stock engine like a true big lumpy cam would. Comp claims that these cams make power.

A lot of people are going to say that it's a cheap shot to put in a big sounding cam that doesn't make 450 hp but why is this any different than anything else?

Why do people spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on paint jobs? Or tons of money on chrome parts? Or nice wheels? None of these things are required to make a car go faster.

They're put on the car to project a better image. Vanity if you will...

All show and no go.

This cam is no different. It's designed to sound nasty without the expense.

Tell me that when your at a cruise or car show and some pulls in that has a nasty sounding cam , that you dont immediately look to see where it's coming from. I love that sound. I wish my E-cam had more lope to it , but it idles 750-800 and still sounds pretty good.

Comp did not really do that much work to the cam to make it have such a lope they just kept the lift low, made quick ramp rates gets the valve open to full lift faster to maximize the openig time put some more duration on the exhaust which does not effect the streetabilty as much as the intake side, Which in turn increased the avaiable overlap so they put a tight lobe centerline on the cam which causes a lot of valve over lap but keeps the power band low bucause you are not effecting durantion as much. But the amount of power you lose over all compared to a cam that is more mild and suited for tha appilication will be much better but you lose the lope. If you really want a wicked cam from comp have them grind a xe282hr on a 108-110 lsa and it will idle bad ass. Because the idea behind a cam is to first improve power then have a sweet idle.

bringing this one back, anyone here have one yet? Jegs has them for 260.00 which is kinda pricey for an off the shelf cam, but I am still curious about the overalll product.

Check this out...these are the specs. There a 3 different models...check them out. They are a little pricey though. Only the thumpr cam is actually made for stock engines...but they suggest a 2000+ stall.

Low lift you say? I dont think i really consider 531/517 to be low lift!

Although i like the concept to make it sound bad ass for less money theese cams will not work on a fuel injected car without a major tune. If your going to go through that trouble why not get a cam more suited for your application. Spend the money where its needed. If this is on a show car then i'm all for it but if its for a cruise night then your waisting your time. Around here if an old chevy, mopar, or ford shows up on a cruise night cammin like a mother in a primered paint job guess what its a piece of ***** with a nice engine.

well I am building an explorer motor, so it needs a new cam anyway. the steeda18 is at the top of my list, but I thought this was novel and wondered if it was worth it.