Time for a new motor. What size should I go with?

What short block to get?

• 331 s/c

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • 408w s/c

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • 427 n/a

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Other (your choice)?

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think you are a bit high on the hp, probably by about 90 or so.

As far as re-using parts, probably the intake and throttle body.
An unknown cam is just a shot in the dark.
The meter and injectors will be too small.

If money is an issue, buy an explorer engine, sell off the heads and intake, use the shortblock, buy some afr 165's or TW's, a good cam, pro m meter and 24's.
That should get you just over 300rwhp.

While that's not 600hp, i assure you the fun factor over your present parts will go up quite a bit.
Then when you want more, do as Fast driver suggested and slap an S trim on.

U think afr 165's would make that much of a diff. The heads I have now sound the same. I have bigger intake but smaller exhaust valves. Im just thinking that for $1500 is it worth it? I dont know?

• Sponsors (?)

At this point i consider it fact rather than opinion that home built engines don't last, especially when you add boost or rpm to them.

I guess it just depends on whose home the engine is being built in.

I built 383 stroker chevys before there was any such thing as a "stroker kit" and they ran for years. I wouldn't allow anyone to assemble an engine for me without tearing it down and checking their clearances myself.

There's a lot to be said for educating yourself on how to build an engine. It goes way, way beyond trying to save a buck. It's about learning what correct assembly is and making certain that is what happens. It also makes you familiar with components required for different applications, i.e. "boost"

Of course some dumb dumb can slap a shade tree engine together and shell it out with a blower. However if you know take the time to learn how to build an engine with the proper parts and clearances, it will be as good as one from a shop that takes money from people too lazy to learn.

That IS fact.

it will be as good as one from a shop that takes money from people too lazy to learn.

That IS fact.

Interesting, so you think an unwillingness to build your own engine is lazy?
Is it lazy when someone lets someone else cut their lawn too? Could it not be that you don't have the time or tools?
I guess you have never paid anyone to do anything before huh. With your theory anything can really be learned, so if you don't do it yourself, it's just lazy.

Sometimes there are sensible reasons for people not doing all their own work.
As i said earlier, most of the cost of stroker engine goes into the machine work, a couple hundred more to assemble it isn't really much if you are only building one (which the OP said), so the tool and time investment isn't really worth it for everyone.
Not a sensible theory?

Striker, if i'm reading your sig correctly you have ported e7's, right?
If so, nothing you could do to them would make them anywhere close to tw's or afr 165's.
With the right supporting parts, the aluminum heads should always come up around 50rwhp+ over any e7 setup.
50rwhp may not sound like alot, but in a 3200lb car, it is.

Is it lazy when someone lets someone else cut their lawn too?.

Yes. Unless they are 80 or paralyzed

With your theory anything can really be learned

Human being have been proving this for years. Anything ive ever put 100% into, i have been successful at.

As i said earlier, most of the cost of stroker engine goes into the machine work, a couple hundred more to assemble it isn't really much if you are only building one (which the OP said), so the tool and time investment isn't really worth it for everyone.

Its more than a couple hundred to assemble a motor, that is also a fact. If someone said to me "hey im this shop quoted me 500 bucks to assemble a motor, should i go there?" I'd reply with a "FACK NO"

Think of how many hours go into assembling a motor. Checking tolerances, twice, degreeing a cam, setting up the valvetrain, measuring pushrods... etc etc, who is going to do all of this for "a couple hundred more"

Yes. Unless they are 80 or paralyzed

Human being have been proving this for years. Anything ive ever put 100% into, i have been successful at.

Its more than a couple hundred to assemble a motor, that is also a fact. If someone said to me "hey im this shop quoted me 500 bucks to assemble a motor, should i go there?" I'd reply with a "FACK NO"

Think of how many hours go into assembling a motor. Checking tolerances, twice, degreeing a cam, setting up the valvetrain, measuring pushrods... etc etc, who is going to do all of this for "a couple hundred more"

lol he has a mod motor, you dont have to do half of those things on a modular. A small block ford, takes some time to set up, especially if you want the thing to make power, and last half a year.

Not so sure you can simply define the costs the way you are describing.

It's like any other business, things are part of a package deal.
You could have all the machine work done for $800 or the engine assembled for $1200. To me, that's a no brainer if you trust the shop.
What would you pay for them to assemble some pile of junk you walked in off the street with? Who the hell knows, likely they wouldn't even do it, shops don't like the liability of assembling unkown parts. So you would probably get hit pretty hard because they would have to verify the condition of the parts. Something they wouldn't have to do if they prepped all the parts.
Keep in mind, my engine is not a stroker, just a an 03 cobra shortblock that was re-done with stock parts balanced blueprinted new arp bolts, bearings and file to fit rings.

so your saying a mod motor is less work?

well, no if you do the things like valves and springs, port work all that ****.

If you are just building a forged shortblock to boost it, and no headwork, then yeah they are VERY easy (i.e termi), you bolt it all together and your done. you really dont have to run special gaskets or bearings or bolts. Stock hg's and bolts are good for around 20-25psi easy. 20psi on a 5.0 and you are gonna have a fun time keeping gaskets on it, o-ring the heads and all that.

Interesting, so you think an unwillingness to build your own engine is lazy?

Yes.

Is it lazy when someone lets someone else cut their lawn too?

Incredibly, yes.

I guess you have never paid anyone to do anything before huh.

Only If it requires more man power than I can provide in a given time.

With your theory anything can really be learned, so if you don't do it yourself, it's just lazy.

For a car guy to not have the desire to build his own engine?.....leaning toward yes again.

a couple hundred more to assemble it isn't really much if you are only building one (which the OP said), so the tool and time investment isn't really worth it for everyone.
Not a sensible theory?

Three different engines in one car?, Tools aren't that expensive. You could buy a few mics, an indicator, ring compressor and a degree wheel for what one assembly on one of those engines cost(or less). The rest is just learning.

Learning is always a worthwhile investment.

How can you consider the powerplant under your hood really yours if you don't build it yourself? It's not yours- It's just something you bought.:shrug:

Yes.

Incredibly, yes.

Only If it requires more man power than I can provide in a given time.

For a car guy to not have the desire to build his own engine?.....leaning toward yes again.

Three different engines in one car?, Tools aren't that expensive. You could buy a few mics, an indicator, ring compressor and a degree wheel for what one assembly on one of those engines cost(or less). The rest is just learning.

Learning is always a worthwhile investment.

How can you consider the powerplant under your hood really yours if you don't build it yourself? It's not yours- It's just something you bought.:shrug:

What would you say the percentage of users here that built their own engine is? Gotta be less than 10%.
So, at this point, i'll just assume you are a mechanical genius with more time, tools and know how than 90% of the people here.
Must be nice to be the guy that has to literally pay for nothing.

I personally believe it depends on what you have. Some of us have more money than time. Others have more time than money. If you have both, then I agree, you should build it yourself. If you have one or the other, then your situation dictates.

I can tell you that as a Company commander in the Army, I was averaging over 100 hours/week at work. I did not cut my grass, and I did not do my own car work. I paid someone else to. Through two deployments, the captain's career course, and ranger school, my car has sat pretty much untouched, except for working out minor bugs I haven't been able to build on it, at all in 3 years. I've made about $100k/year in that time, though. Call me lazy if you want to, but if I hadn't paid for the work that's been done, I'd still have the motor I broke back in '05 still in the car. At least I selected the components piece for piece, making the engine my own design. I've never seen any others with my combination choice.

Chris

Time vs Money or Money vs Time is just a mindset. I have found it comes down to how well the people around you understand and how much of yourself you are willing to sacrifice for what you want. Do whatever makes you happy. My vote 408w SC. I chose this because I DD a supercharged 5.0 and am bored with the power. Go with something what will take a longer amount of time to get bored with!

I'd just like to point out that I've got no beef with people who pay to have their engines built for their cars. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I can understand and respect the more-money-than-time situation.

I also understand that some people will just never have the mechanical aptitude to build an engine themselves. I've seen it, and it's downright scary when these people make attempts to turn a wrench!

My argument earlier was just that it doesn't take a pro engine builder to properly build an engine. It's not some magic voodoo that only happens inside the walls of a professional shop. :p

So I guess my point is... If you're confident in your skills, do it up! If not, or if you don't have the time, there are certainly some good options in engine builders out there, especially for us SBF guys.

What would you say the percentage of users here that built their own engine is? Gotta be less than 10%.
So, at this point, i'll just assume you are a mechanical genius with more time, tools and know how than 90% of the people here.
Must be nice to be the guy that has to literally pay for nothing.

See, you're not making sense again. Just like when you started this debate by stating that homebuilt engines burn oil, as fact.

Where do you get this stuff?:nonono:

Stop assuming. I'm a millwright/machinist and I make around 100k with overtime. Yes, I have tools. I have to, it's my job. I have a high mechanical aptitude too, it's my job.

Let's stop mucking this guy's thread up. OK?

Back to the topic-

To the op: sorry for the B.S.

Picking an engine is like picking a woman. There are ups and downs to all of 'em. Get what makes you happy and don't worry about everyone else's opinion!:nice: