Torx fastener on Idler Pulley -- Stripped --

will_95gt

Jul 27, 2004
Austin, TX
As the title says, I stripped that cone-headed torx bolt that holds on our static idler pulleys. I believe I was using the correct sized torx socket (t-50, IIRC) but even so, that thing stripped faster than a $20 call girl.

Anybody else been down this road? I just drenched the pulley/fastener in wd-40, I'm going to let the solution seep in and do work overnight. I've got a dremel on standby with which I'm considering reslotting the fastener. I also have a hand torch that I was contemplating aiming at the fastener for a bit to try to break up any rust/dibree that's keeping it locked in there.

Do you guys think heating up the fastener might melt the pulley or any other components? Any other known tips/tricks to getting this thing out?

Also, once I get the torx bolt out of there, do you folks have any recommendations as to what I should replace it with? I doubt I can find an exact replacement without buying a whole new idler/pwr steering pump (I think they're connected).

Warm regards,

-Will

• Sponsors (?)

In case anyone else suffers this same fate, here's an update:

After some research I've found a "custom idler bolt" that claims to replace the factory torx fastener. It's for sale on WazeePulleys.com and comes with a cute little billet spacer, lol,

1994-1995-50-idler-pulley

94%2095%20bolt%20spacer.jpg

Just thought I'd share.

The threading on the bolt goes through to the back side. You might be able to shoot some PB blaster into the back of the bolt to loosen it up. I'd just cut the top of it off with a grinding wheel. The pulley isn't too expensive anyway.

Kurt

Sounds like you've got all the basics covered, other than I would humbly suggest saving the WD-40 for lightweight stuff. As Revhead suggested, PB Blaster is the ticket. From completely tearing down a rusted out, neglected 67 Mustang to bare unibody I can tell you that WD-40 just makes frozen fasteners nice and slick. PB Blaster breaks them loose.