Tranny problems continue

• Sponsors (?)

yeah, i hear ya ... prolly would have been a good idea after all

there are 3 connectors between the computer and the tranny. disconnecting the one closest to the tranny opens the short, so the short must be on the tranny side, which means draining the fluid and taking off the cover.

any suggestions for this? will i need any new gaskets or anything like that? anything else to be careful of when i open it up?

so ... how do i drain the tranny ... is there a drain plug for the tranny somewhere? there is a round, black plastic piece in the bottom of the tranny that looks (from the outside at least) a little like an engine freeze plug ... it is pretty loose in there ... is that a drain plug? it seems too loose to be able to hold any fluid on the other side ...

esp if it was under warrenty or he was backing his work. If you get in there and mess it up more and end up having to go back he could tell ya your **** outta luck. I don't do tranny **** I get scared enough digging into a motor

again good luck. i hope you get it fixed so your wife don't make you get rid of it

i'm sure he would stand behind his work if i wanted to bring it back to him ... he's a really nice guy. i just have no time or desire to go through what i had to go through to make that trip again ... renting a truck and car trailer, picking up the car, driving 90 minutes to the place, dropping it off, 90 more minutes home, drop off the truck ... it quickly becomes a whole day's project. then another day the next week to go get it.

i think i'll talk to the guy at ATI again and see if he can pull off the cover and find the short

Yea Chris, take it to the guy at ATI. I know how you feel. You get to a point where you are up to your limit in TIME and FRUSTRATION and say enough is enough. I was getting to that point with my car where I did not even want to turn one more nut or bolt PERIOD.

Luckily I found the belt issue and bumped the crank pulley out with washers. O' and I don't know if you have been following my install. Car is driveable regulalry now but for a squeak somewhere in the intake, or TB. and I am MISSING 100 + HP with that PP intake (420HP@4650 then downhill on the dyno graph lol).

I am putting a Edel Victor similar to what Mike has and expect to see over 500HP on er.

Yea Chris, take it to the guy at ATI. I know how you feel. You get to a point where you are up to your limit in TIME and FRUSTRATION and say enough is enough. I was getting to that point with my car where I did not even want to turn one more nut or bolt PERIOD.

Luckily I found the belt issue and bumped the crank pulley out with washers. O' and I don't know if you have been following my install. Car is driveable regulalry now but for a squeak somewhere in the intake, or TB. and I am MISSING 100 + HP with that PP intake (420HP@4650 then downhill on the dyno graph lol).

I am putting a Edel Victor similar to what Mike has and expect to see over 500HP on er.
of course i have been following your build keith. and i heard about the pp being a restriction in the upper range. but i did not hear about the 420 at 4650. is that at the tires? are you expecting over 500 at the wheels? holy crap, i thought 450 at the wheels was doing pretty damn good ...

can you post the link to your dyno graph with the 420@4650?

i'm gonna call the ATI guy tomorrow. one way or another, this car is gonna be on the road soon. the manual valve body i ordered came last week.

Thanks. That's 405-420HP total..or around 330+rwhp , depending on how you factor it. With my trans and when you get into higher HP numbers they say look for around 17% or so driveline loss or 80-85% ratio.

The TQ was a 415rwtq - but the dyno numbers peak around 46-4700 and go straight down from there. The car has a dump truckload of TQ and I almost didnt care but when I realized I could be putting out 100more rwhp, I decided to bite it and buy the matched intake for my cam and heads. Iwill also be getting a custom power pipe made BY rnh performance.

If I find the graph I will try to post it. The car is really fast regardless. I can't image what another 100 or so rw would feel like.

WOW pokageek peak hp @ 4650rpms...thats like having the powerband of a stock motor:rlaugh: .I know how you feel tho I had a mild cam in my 331 and it was peaking out at 5200 rpms :( ...but it pulled to 5800 ok. I just got my cam from ED installed and now the thing bounces of my rev limiter at 6500 like nobodys business. I have like a whole extra 1000 rpm to play with:D I cant wait to get it dynoed.

BlackVert..I kinda know how you feel...There was a point when I had a bunch of little problems (like did a tranny and a few weeks later the ring gear breaks on my flywheel do it had to come apart again:bang: and others ) and my mom was getting sick of parking her car outside in the snow cuz I was working on mine in the garage. My brother was getting her riled up complaining my car was a piece of S**t and she should sell it one day while I'm at school, etc. etc. At one point she almost forced me too. I don't have garage privelages in the winter so I figure screw it if the car is gonna sit outside all winter might as well drive it, so I put snow tires on it in the winter and put 200 of 400 hp to the ground (its better than nothing:D ). Hey if life gives you lemons...make lemon aid. Or however that saying goes.

so ... how do i drain the tranny ... is there a drain plug for the tranny somewhere? there is a round, black plastic piece in the bottom of the tranny that looks (from the outside at least) a little like an engine freeze plug ... it is pretty loose in there ... is that a drain plug? it seems too loose to be able to hold any fluid on the other side ...

That plug is just a dust cover of sorts for a stock converter setup. A stock converter has a plug in it, so you can drain the converter. They hold a lot of fluid and are really heavy. Most aftermarket smaller converters won't have a plug.

To drain the tranny, you have to drop a corner of the pan. It's messy. But it's not terribly bad. You can reuse the pan gasket as long as it isn't damaged.