Trans shifting question 99-04 GT's

Dorsai

Aug 13, 2005
Connecticut
Just curious but how stiffly/notchy/hard shifting are your cars? Mine has only 4120 miles on it so I'm wondering how much it will break in and smooth out over time. I can't remember if my 89 5L LX shifted this hard through every gear when I first bought it. My 04 GT feels like a truck shifting in every gear. Would changing the trans fluid to something else smooth it out any or do I just have to suck it up and put the miles on it?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm assuming you have a stock shifter...My tranny wasn't that hard to shift w/ the stock shifter on it, but it had quite a few miles on it when I first picked it up, so it may have been broken in..??:shrug: I recently installed a short shifter & changed the tranny fluid, which made the shifting quite a bit notchier/stiffer, but now I have gotten used to the shifter, and everything seems to have "broken in", and it feels awesome.:nice: I think these trannies just suck when they're cold too. If you let your car warm up, or drive it for a long period of time in the same day, then it's usually easier to shift. Hopefully you don't have tranny issues so soon with such low miles, but I wouldn't be totally surprised.:nonono:

Take it back to the dealer while you still have warranty. Maybe they won't do anything for you but its worth the try. Make the A-holes do all the free work you can get out of them