Transmission leak problem

I have a 68 with a 4 speed manual from a Ford F150.

Last year the selector shaft broke, I had it repaired but when I got it back it kept leaking from the breather hole at the top of the box.

My mechanic looked at it for me as said the tray in the inside of the transmission lid is missing, hense the oil spews out the top of the box and makes a mess.

As i live in ireland, getting a new lid for my very obscure box could take some time so to correct the problem he fitted a rubber hose from the breather hole and ran it up into the engine bay, figuring the oil wouldnt travel that far and would run back down into the box.

After some 'spirited' driving yesterday i was dissapointed to find the oil had made its way up the pipe and spewed into the engine bay. I have fitted a large in-line fuel filter in an attempt to catch the oil, allwoing it to gather and then run back down into the box.

This may work but my question is this:

Why is the oil spewing from the box and cant I just plug the hole or would this create pressure etc?

Thanks in advance.

brian

• Sponsors (?)

It has to vent.

Consider using a catch can. Basicly it's a bottle with a hose on the bottom and a hose on the top. Oil will build up in the can and then drain back into the transmission when the engine is turned off.

1) the tranny must be able to vent
2) the tranny must not be overfull
3) what fluid are you using? I cannot imagine 80W-90 or 85W-140 gear oil running up a small fuel line for any amount of distance.

Thanks guys. I have already installed a large fuel filter at the end of the hose, which is basically the tin can idea but has a filter to hold back the oil. Took the car out for a good spin and the filter is half full, i'll see tomorrow if it has drained back into the transmission. If this doesnt work i dont know what to do!

I wonder what is causing the oil to be pushed out of the gearbox to begin with. i find it hard to believe that the missing splash plate would solve this problem, but maybe.