Tubular Front Control Arms

Slatco

Jan 9, 2010
Are there any companies that sell tubular front A-arms that don't require a coil over conversion besides FRPP?
I need new bushings for my 89 lx but like the idea of the weight savings. However after reading about all the clearance issues and headaches with coilovers I don't want to go that route.

• Sponsors (?)

I beleive the reason most don't is due to strengh issues.

The stock A-arms, while ugly and heavy as sin...are strong! Tubular ones with a coil spring have a greater change of failure. When you hit a bump on a coil-over setup, the force goes from the wheel, through the spindle and up into the strut's spring, bypassing the control arm. SO they can make it lighter and not as strong.

With a coil spring on the arm, the force of the bump has to go through the a-arms. A lot of aftermarket companies make parts for race cars, with the general assumption that most people will inspect their parts more frequently.

Making a a-arm with a spring perch invites people to toss a set on their stock daily driver and put 100K of normal street driving on them....which is a scary thought without a lot of testing.

I had PA Racing tubular a-arms on my car for about 10k on the street with no problems. I can't imagine a company building a product that would fail on the street. If that was the case i'd imagine they would list it as off road use only. Also sounds like alot of law suits. Only reason i took them off was because they pushed my wheels out further then stock. If i can find a company that makes stock spec ones, ill buy them
Posted via Mobile Device