Ughh Balancer problems (I'm a idiot)

Labora

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2000
Dallas, Texas
So the balancer went out on my car no problem I've had one sitting around for awhile now. Everything is going easy (uber rare around here and it should have been my sign of impending doom) get it all back together and start it. Car is shaking. (it doesn't even run for 15 seconds like this) Ughh Take it all apart today and see this.

mvc044s.jpg

mvc045s.jpg

mvc046s.jpg

mvc047s.jpg

Yes that is correct. Some how I managed to miss the keyway. :damnit: Does anyone know for sure if it this would be all right to use or not now?? Am I out 200$ and should toss this on in the trash??? I was thinking of cleaning up the ruff edges on it and putting it on and seeing what happens. (probably going to do that anyhow to see if it will balance or not) Anybody know if there would be any long term effects??

The groove is very slight not that deep stops at the halfway mark all together.

:stupid:

• Sponsors (?)

CManT1914 said:
Holy crap dude! How did that thing even go on the wrong way? I don't know if I'd try it. You're seriously playing with fire when it comes to the balancer.

I have no clue...I thought I had it lined up but guess not. It even tq.ed down to 120 ft lbs like that! wtf..

I didn't know it was possible to get it on there wrong leave it up to me I guess...:rolleyes:

urban96 said:
it dosent look very round anymore :shrug: maybe its just the pics

you must have really forced that thing

I am actually going to take a level to it and check some minor stuff on it real quick but I don't think it is off round...(probably just the shadow)

Wow, that sucks man. I'm kinda surprised too that you could get it on that way.

Thanks for sharing though. It's reassuring to know that crap like that doesn't just happen to me.

How does the key in the crank look? You could probably use a decent Vernier caliper to kinda check for round (expand the jaws on the I.D. and rotate the caliper around to see if it binds or has areas of slop).

Good luck.

I would think it is still round.

The optional keyway that has been made most likely has material that will need to be removed from each side.

Might take it to a machine shop and see if they can give you some insight with what has gone on.

Grady

HISSIN50 said:
How does the key in the crank look? You could probably use a decent Vernier caliper to kinda check for round (expand the jaws on the I.D. and rotate the caliper around to see if it binds or has areas of slop).

Good luck.

Key on the crank looks ok from what I can tell. I guess before I put another balancer on it wouldn't hurt to remove it and inspect it.

final5-0 said:
I would think it is still round.

The optional keyway that has been made most likely has material that will need to be removed from each side.

Might take it to a machine shop and see if they can give you some insight with what has gone on.

Grady

Yah I took a file to it and smoothed it some then realized it was off round :(

Killercanary said:
Wow that sucks. Be thankful you didn't strip the threads out of the crank though, I have seen a few do it on the boards before. Now THAT would be an expensive mistake!
Yah I've been carefull. Used the impact for removal only and tq wrench for the final few clicks....I even used a balancer installer to make sure it went on smooth (instead of the ol wood block and hammer method haha) guess that didn't work out thou.

Methodical said:
Did it damage the keyway on the crank? How does that look?
Fine as far as I can tell.

Green 94 5.0 said:
i got my romac off ebay for $115 shipped brand new. it may not end up being as costly of a mistake as you anticipated.

I picked up a pioneer one today. For 179$ out the door (after tax). I've heard the romacs are good heating them up just to get them on sounds like a PITA thou.

Talked to a machine shop they said the old one is junk. I'll probably pull the weight and spacer off of it and sell them for a few bucks to recoup some $..:( But I still pretty much flushed 200$ down the crapper. O well live and learn.

Labora said:
I picked up a pioneer one today. For 179$ out the door (after tax). I've heard the romacs are good heating them up just to get them on sounds like a PITA thou.

Talked to a machine shop they said the old one is junk. I'll probably pull the weight and spacer off of it and sell them for a few bucks to recoup some $..:( But I still pretty much flushed 200$ down the crapper. O well live and learn.

No install hassle with the Pioneer :nice:

Mine went on with ease :D

Good Luck :)

Grady

Your not the first person to do that lol.. I did that with an old romac once.. They are hard to get on anyways (without heat atleast) so i thought the fight it was giving while putting it on was normal.. Well when i took it off i missed the keyway by about 3/8 an inch. The hub was totally ovaled... it was bad.

yellow1995Cobra said:
Your not the first person to do that lol.. I did that with an old romac once.. They are hard to get on anyways (without heat atleast) so i thought the fight it was giving while putting it on was normal.. Well when i took it off i missed the keyway by about 3/8 an inch. The hub was totally ovaled... it was bad.

Glad to hear that..:Damnit: