upgraded brake pics

YEAHLOH95

Founding Member
Nov 19, 2001
EVERETT,PA
here are soe pics of my new rear brakes 12" slotted and drilled rotors and pbr alum calipers that i pollished and a pic of the front brakes that have been on the car i have paul to thank for the pics
rear_brakes.jpg
front_brakes.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

anyone know a good way to keep the rust off the inner portion of the front brakes??? I going to buy Cobra conversion for the front and know I'll be dealing with that exact situation of pads not covering the whole disc....sorry to use yours as an example, it's just the best one I've seen for this!

nice rear brakes btw... :nice:

i know that pic makes me mad :bang: as i spent alot of time masking off the rotor to find out the pad doesn't contact the whole surface i painted the rest of the rotor which i reccomend just paint the whole thing, with high temp paint, and let the brakes wear it off ...it will the first stop .

[QUOTE='94ChickStang]anyone know a good way to keep the rust off the inner portion of the front brakes???[/QUOTE] I have cross-drilled & slotted rotors on my Cobra, no rust at all. I didn't buy them so I don't know for sure, but I've been told that they're zinc coated, which keeps them from rusting. :shrug:

Dave

YEAHLOH95 said:
i know that pic makes me mad :bang: as i spent alot of time masking off the rotor to find out the pad doesn't contact the whole surface i painted the rest of the rotor which i reccomend just paint the whole thing, with high temp paint, and let the brakes wear it off ...it will the first stop .
Umm, I'm no brake expert (or car expert of any sort for that matter). But it doesn't sound like too good of an idea to paint rotors. Won't the burt paint residue effect the pad performance? :shrug:

Maybe you could do this with old pads, then swap on the new pads after you have worn off the paint as you say.

Keep it safe. :nice:

yeah they are 12" they are bigger than the cobra set up and use the calipers that come stock on corvettes on the rear. i have about 700 in the rear set up thats with buying new parking brake cables and other small parts like braided lines from baer .i bought the kit from a friend incomplete ? i'm running the stock master cylinder and proportioning valve ,it stops great . and about the paint on the rotors i painted the stock rotors and after one stop all the paint was off where the pads came in contact with the rotor ,so it saved alot of time masking and stopped fine the next stop.i under stand your concern but it worked on my car and my friends that we did at the same time.

[QUOTE='94ChickStang]anyone know a good way to keep the rust off the inner portion of the front brakes??? I going to buy Cobra conversion for the front and know I'll be dealing with that exact situation of pads not covering the whole disc....sorry to use yours as an example, it's just the best one I've seen for this!

nice rear brakes btw... :nice:[/QUOTE]

Like mine? :D

cobrabrakes.jpg

YEAHLOH95 said:
i'm running the stock master cylinder and proportioning valve ,it stops great.

I'm sure it stops very well, but it could stop better. If you were to install an aftermarket proportioning valve (and disable the stock one of course), you would actually be able to make use of the increased rear braking capability. As it is, the Mustang is horribly over proportioned to the front. It's doubtful you were even using the stock rear brakes to more than a third of their capability. This isn't intended as a flame, but that $700 you spent was just for looks at this point.

A Wilwood p/v is only around $75 max. :)

I'll save my comments about a $700 rear brake setup with a $400 front.

when i originaly puchased the kit i had 500 in it which i didin't think was too bad .i wanted alum calipers and the rotors are zink washed. we go to put them on and i find out i have to get new axle brackets, e brake cables, and braided brake lines ,thats why it cost so much "thanks ebay",but until i get rid of the abs i'll never see the full potential of either end of the brakes . the car stops more level with less nose down motion, so i know they are doing more than the stock ones did ,even if they are only for looks i'm still happy :D