URGENT rear end help

Stark77

Jun 11, 2008
Tallahassee, FL
Was looking at the back of my car today, and noticed that my rear right tire is sticking out roughly 1 inch more than my left rear tire (out of the fender flare vs. inside of the fender flare). I was parked on level ground. Also, I could fit 4 fingers between the top of the tire and bottom of flare on the right, but only 3 on the left. Is one of my shocks/struts blown out? Please help, supposed to go to track this weekend. Same size tires/wheels on each rear axle, of course.

• Sponsors (?)

Actually, if you look closely, the rear end isn't centered well on many many mustangs, even from when they were new off the show room floor. You are probably just noticing it for the first time now. :nice:

For piece of mind, you could crawl underneath and check the upper control arm bushings. The upper control arms locate the rear end side to side. I wouldn't install anything else but factory rubber bushings on the upper control arms though. The suspension naturally binds as designed and stiffer bushings only make the bind problem worse.

Believe it or not - it rides fine. The rear left side( the side where the tire is sitting too far inside the fenderwell) seems a bit harsh at times changing from smooth to unsmooth surfaces, or up/down curbs. But, other than that, it tracks straight on the road, no up or down bobbing, to pull in either direction.

Shocks don't control ride height. Springs do

It's possible one of more of the bushings in the control arms is junk, or something could be tweaked. Most mustangs have some lopsidedness that is usually corrected for in the alighnment.

However, i'd check to see if any of the bushings are gone or if the torque box or UCA mounts are tearing

If it is a live a axle isnt centered by links and irs with a sub frame.on irs lower arm would center wheel.normally when somethings bends end get closer.mine i think has a bent something.i got mine to keep tirewear ok but no more 70mph jug handles to much oversteer and lean

Stark, don't worry too much about it.

Mine is like that also. The right side tire is a good 3/4"-1" further out than the left tire in the wheel well. So the whole axle is shifted right a little.

I've looked at it, and me and my buddy have had it up on the lift at his shop and looked at it. Couldn't find a damn thing wrong, nothing was tweaked, bushings didn't look blown out or anything.

It really bugs me, but I just deal with it for now. I'm sure there are some suspension parts that could be added to bring it center again, but I'm not in a rush to fix it.

Maybe im stupid here the guy says the top of wheel sticks out .with irs lower control centers bottom of wheel upper does the top.the top has a cam to adjust camber.shocks will not cause it and spring wont.what i was trying to say is when parts bend things get shorter.a bent lower arm will make top look out .a bent upper would make top look in .a upper control arm bushing will make top go in .his alignment could be off and thats all.my rear has been hit 3 times i have 1 cam all the way in and the other out.sub frame or box what ever i think mine is bent.a better understanding how it works will help him find his problem

His problem sounds like mine.i owned an alignment shop .during the 80 i made alot of money on fords twin i beam.he needs tn be put on a lasar machine.the basic place might not find it.look for a body shop that does frame repair.as per rear end being centered its not has to off line or you will burn up ujoints