Went to the track last night (I suck)

evil281

Jan 6, 2008
Arizona
so I went to the track for the first time it wasnt 100 degrees out since ive owned my car, and i also just purchased some 17x9 03 cobras with NT555R's on em so i was hoping for a good night, well i didnt do as good as i wanted, I got to run 4 runs in 4 hours of waiting in line here are my best runs

Firebird International Raceway
Elevation 3000ft
About 75 degrees

Best run

R/T

60'

330'

1/8
[email protected]

1000'

1/4
[email protected]

Second best
R/T

60'

330'

1/8
[email protected]

1000'

1/4
[email protected]

Third best ( with passenger)
R/T

60'

330'

1/8
[email protected]

1000'

1/4
[email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

two of the launches that i got my best two runs on u bogged down by letting the clutch out too fast, i still my fastest runs out of those two tho, my third best run i gave it some gas and i think if i would have given it just a hair less it would have grabbed really well but it just spun a bit

Work on your 60'. Then your times will get better, also remember you at 3000 ft elevation. I had similar setup, pullies, cai, exhaust, automatic, i ran 13.1. Sea level. 1.8 60'

Are u warming up the tires with a nice healthy burnout 1st??? That would be very important to get a good 60 ft.... Also, your elevation will definitely hurt your times, but its mainly your 60ft that is hurting it overall....What RPM are u launching @????

Are u warming up the tires with a nice healthy burnout 1st??? That would be very important to get a good 60 ft.... Also, your elevation will definitely hurt your times, but its mainly your 60ft that is hurting it overall....What RPM are u launching @????

the two that i bogged down on (my two best runs) i backed into the waterbox and did about a 5-6 sec burnout, i think im gona go back this next friday and try to improve my 60' time, what should i be running anyway if i get a good 60' time? also how much is the elevation effecting me?

First off, I don't think your runs sucked at all.

You need the density altitude really to determine how much it is affecting you. I would guess that it is about 2-3 tenths in overall ET over a sea level run. Your best run prob. would have been a 13.8xx at sea level.

With stock gears, you might be able to drop the clutch with nittos. As others have stated, nittos require much more heat. Don't be scared to drop the tire pressure to 14-16psi and launch higher. Each person has a little different technique with nittos. With 3.73 gears, I found that slipping the clutch worked best for me. If I dropped the clutch, the shock would spin the tires. The higher gearing of your car might allow you to drop the clutch with them if your track is prepped well. I think with a little more practice, you will be in the 13.7-13.8 area, which is mid 13's at sea level. Also, If I were you, I would take that bbk cold air kit off and put a stock air box back on the car.

I say get rid of the nittos and buy some BFG's or MT. I never had any luck with nittos, but dropped .3 with BFG drag radials over the nittos. Lots of people use nittos and say they nave no problems with them, but I think they are a good street tire but not a track tire. Also I could only pull a 2.1 60' with nittos and the first time back with BFG's I went 1.9 60' . ET went from 9.2-9.3 to 9.0-9.1 in the 1/8th. Good luck at the track.

First off, I don't think your runs sucked at all.

You need the density altitude really to determine how much it is affecting you. I would guess that it is about 2-3 tenths in overall ET over a sea level run. Your best run prob. would have been a 13.8xx at sea level.

With stock gears, you might be able to drop the clutch with nittos. As others have stated, nittos require much more heat. Don't be scared to drop the tire pressure to 14-16psi and launch higher. Each person has a little different technique with nittos. With 3.73 gears, I found that slipping the clutch worked best for me. If I dropped the clutch, the shock would spin the tires. The higher gearing of your car might allow you to drop the clutch with them if your track is prepped well. I think with a little more practice, you will be in the 13.7-13.8 area, which is mid 13's at sea level. Also, If I were you, I would take that bbk cold air kit off and put a stock air box back on the car.

winders, why would he want to take the bbk cold air off? Are they not any good(BBK)? Do intakes not really have an effect on the 4.6? I'm not questioning you at all. I know you are a hundred times more knowledgeable about this; I just didn't know that the stock could flow better than aftermarket. Thanks man,

And to OP, from what I've seen on here, I don't think that your times are THAT bad at that see level. I mean I know you could do better, just take it out this Friday and show us what you can really do.:nice:

Do you/y'all think some gears(4.10s) would help? I know about the whole 4th shift thing, but with some practice....

Cheers,

well the reason i got the nittos is cause i scored a set of 4 03 cobras with the two nittos with about 85% tread left and two f1 eagles up front with 95% tread for 375$

once these are toast i was looking into mt streets, but that set up i got is cheaper than buying two mt tires alone

i also am also curious y is the stock intake better than the bbk?

winders, why would he want to take the bbk cold air off? Are they not any good(BBK)? Do intakes not really have an effect on the 4.6? I'm not questioning you at all. I know you are a hundred times more knowledgeable about this; I just didn't know that the stock could flow better than aftermarket. Thanks man,

And to OP, from what I've seen on here, I don't think that your times are THAT bad at that see level. I mean I know you could do better, just take it out this Friday and show us what you can really do.:nice:

Do you/y'all think some gears(4.10s) would help? I know about the whole 4th shift thing, but with some practice....

Cheers,

cold air kits are useless on our cars. Unlike other cars, on ours, they don't do anything and some can often hurt performance. The BBK is a fenderwell kit and has a sharp bend in it and I lost ET using it.

ya im abit afraid to change my gears, i drive too much so ill wait to put steep gears in the 03/04 cobra im hoping to get by this summer

i guess i just kinda was hoping to break the 14 second barrier and get kicked out for not having a helmet and give me an excuse to get one lol, well lets hope ill do better this week

let me know if you are goin for sure on friday, i might go out there too. i wanna try out firebird cause the track prep at speedworld kinda sucks and that might have somethin to do with my ****ty times:shrug: