What are the advantages of choosing shaft-mount rockers instead of stud mount?

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Vass, NC
There's a large difference in price. Why would it be wiser to choose shaft mount rockers despite the price difference? I don't want to waste money, but will it add power, longevity, or reliability to my engine? Do my engine/combination or power level specifics make any difference in making this decision.

Thanks for any input,

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Well, what is your combo. If your running a high lift solid roller cam, then yes it's worth it.

Shaft mount are more stable, and stonger. Many use stud mount RR's with upgrades studs, add a stud girtle, and when it's all said and done, the price is near that of shaft mount RR's except the shaft mount is still better.

No, I'm running a hydraulic roller cam. Max lift is .603. This is a street car that will be pushing 30 psi of boost and maybe 1200hp on race gas from time to time.

FastDriver said:
No, I'm running a hydraulic roller cam. Max lift is .603. This is a street car that will be pushing 30 psi of boost and maybe 1200hp on race gas from time to time.

If your building a 30psi, 1200 hp motor, I'm sure an extra $300 on rockers won't break the bank. Get the shaft setup at the very least. Jesel makes nice parts.

My understanding is that shaft mount rockers are intended for engines that spend extended time at high RPMs, like NASCAR or road race engines.

That's good input jrichker.

Thanks for the input guys, but despite the fact that I have so much money in this motor, I still don't want to spend more than is necessary to meet my goals.

It won't spend all of its time at 30 psi.... That will only be on occasion. Primarily, it will be a pump gas street car at 13-15 psi and will not spend much sustained time at high rpm.

Chris

I think after talking with some others about it, I'm just going to go with a regular stud mount setup for now. I'm not running a solid roller, and I'm not running over 7k rpm or staying at high rpm for an extended amount of time. I think going with normal studs will not hinder performance or reliability on this motor. Maybe later when I've got a bank account again, I'll invest in them... They're easy to swap.

Thanks for the help guys.

Chris

Even at 7k I think you will still need a stud girdle and they are not expensive. A lot depends on what springs pressure your running and at 7k it has to be fairly high. I have a pair of Jomar Pros on my big block and I have open pressures at 800 lbs. Without the girdle those stud would be swaying back and forth like pine trees in the wind. Here's a link to Jomar and they have a unit to fit just about every head made for the SB. http://jomarperformance.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_22_27

I'm with him^^. Invest in the stud girdles now, and upgrade to some Jesel Sportsman series shafts when you get a little more dough in you pocket. Of course with dough in your pocket, you could also make cookies, just watch out for lint.