What does everyone do for a living and how do you like it? (Career Search) Part 1

damnn..congrates......$$$$$

Thanks, it sounds like a lot but you have to consider some things:

1 - If I didn't make that much I could never pay off student loans, afford a vehicle, or even live in something other then a tiny studio apartment.

2 - Pay is all about location. My office is 5 minutes from Boston. Anyone working in a city will make more then people in suburbs, almost with exception. Boston is super expensive to live in. In order to attract engineers, most of whom go to school in cities, then you have to pay enough so that people can support themselves.

3 - I negotiated like a mad man when I changed jobs in Feb '07. I had three offers and played three different companies off each other. I am fortunate enough that there is such a demand for EEs that I was able to do this.

4 - I don't work 40 hour weeks, more like 50-55.

Adam

• Sponsors (?)

*What you guys do for a living
Lead Flying Crew Chief on Air Force One
*What do you like about it
Get to fly around the world and see a lot of neat and scary places and party like a rockstar.
*What your daily/weekly duties include
If the jets aren't broke- cleaning them. Scheduling maintenance & personel.
*How much you make per year (if you would like to give up that information)
MSgt pay over 20yrs in service
*What do you dislike about it
Sometimes very long days especially during overseas trips and waxing/cleaning a Boeing 747
*What did you have to do to get where you are now (internships, schooling,
After working Air Force II for 5 years I applied for AF1 and after security clearences, got the job.

I deal with computers.

"working in the data center and pretty much running the team as i see fit." yep that's me.

monitor all server tickets, inventory management, processes changes, learn new technologies including cisco, vmware, windoze, one off firewalls, etc etc..

Not much.

I did a 180* turn seven years ago and got into tech. I knew nothing about puters and did not even know what windows 2000 meant. I busted me arse and read about 14,000 pages of material, passed some tests and did some hands on,..and got a break in the industry with no experience.

Started out 7 years ago at $27k - no experience and now right at 6 figures.

*Any other info you could give me. Perks of the job, vacation time, time away from home/family, ANYTHING
I enjoy throwing interns off the 10th story balcony when they mess something up.

I deal with computers.

"working in the data center and pretty much running the team as i see fit." yep that's me.

monitor all server tickets, inventory management, processes changes, learn new technologies including cisco, vmware, windoze, one off firewalls, etc etc..

Not much.

I did a 180* turn seven years ago and got into tech. I knew nothing about puters and did not even know what windows 2000 meant. I busted me arse and read about 14,000 pages of material, passed some tests and did some hands on,..and got a break in the industry with no experience.

Started out 7 years ago at $27k - no experience and now right at 6 figures.

*Any other info you could give me. Perks of the job, vacation time, time away from home/family, ANYTHING
I enjoy throwing interns off the 10th story balcony when they mess something up.

I think im going into computer networking (specificly cisco) but in my basic computer class im having trouble understanding the text, and its VERY basic stuff, How involved is the cisco stuff? Im more of a hands on type guy, i learn things by seeing them done, not reading about it...

I work at Boeing. #1 Airplane maker in the World!!

I'm in Electronic's in Everett,Wa. We make the 747,777,767,and now the new 787 Carbon fiber plane with over 700 orders! :nice: The 737 is made in Seattle.
The new 747-8 is coming out soon and is longer than the new Airbus 380!

Hopefully we will get the 767 Tanker contract also! We need an American Tanker for our Troops in the Armed forces:flag: , not an airbus (France/German owned company) made one.:notnice:

Great place to work and they are hiring like crazy!! Go to the Boeing website if anybody is looking for a job and wants to relocate to the Seattle area! Let me know if you apply and maybe I can put in a good word for you!

just got a more formal job thursday (w00t! finally!) so i'm re-doing this.

Web & Graphic Designer
Creative freedom, mix of graphics (photoshop & flash) and xhtml/css/javascript coding--enjoy the flexibility of it
design website templates, develop sites, design company logos, maintain existing sites, etc
45 min drive to and from work
*What did you have to do to get where you are now (internships, schooling, previous jobs, etc)
learned it all in ONE class i took--branched out after that
36,000 first year, 40,000 second year + commission
m-f 8-5--get to leave work @ work and not have to bring it home, i'm no longer the guy on the low-end of the totem pole, going to gain great experience, small private company, laid-back atmosphere, supportive team

just got a more formal job thursday (w00t! finally!) so i'm re-doing this.

Web & Graphic Designer
Creative freedom, mix of graphics (photoshop & flash) and xhtml/css/javascript coding--enjoy the flexibility of it
design website templates, develop sites, design company logos, maintain existing sites, etc
45 min drive to and from work
*What did you have to do to get where you are now (internships, schooling, previous jobs, etc)
learned it all in ONE class i took--branched out after that
36,000 first year, 40,000 second year + commission
m-f 8-5--get to leave work @ work and not have to bring it home, i'm no longer the guy on the low-end of the totem pole, going to gain great experience, small private company, laid-back atmosphere, supportive team

Congrats man!

I think im going into computer networking (specificly cisco) but in my basic computer class im having trouble understanding the text, and its VERY basic stuff, How involved is the cisco stuff? Im more of a hands on type guy, i learn things by seeing them done, not reading about it...

You are not alone. LOTS of successful people in the indusry like that. Set up a network at home! Play with it. Buy some cheap used puters off ebay and try to network em! :) Try some HTML its fun! Go on webmonkey.com and learn for free! Gotta start somewhere. Do it your way, not some cookie cutter class that is made for Joe Z Blow. It may not be the right direction and a waste of time for ya.

You are not alone. LOTS of successful people in the indusry like that. Set up a network at home! Play with it. Buy some cheap used puters off ebay and try to network em! :) Try some HTML its fun! Go on webmonkey.com and learn for free! Gotta start somewhere. Do it your way, not some cookie cutter class that is made for Joe Z Blow. It may not be the right direction and a waste of time for ya.

k thanks alot man :nice:

Personal Trainer

To me it is like a fun hobby that I get paid for

Training clients, putting together workouts/diets, working with sports teams etc

You have to work your butt off for the first year or two to get well established and the potentially long hours to fit people's schedules

4 year degree, and an internship

Haven't been at it a year yet. Co-workers made around 50k the first year and broke 100K after 3-4 years

Great feeling when you help people achieve results they never thought possible

There are different areas you can work in the accounting field. Plus you can do side jobs such as taxes, preparation of accounting books and records, teach etc. It's good to know if you don't do it but why go thru it if you don't use it?

My side gig is doing income taxes. That's a gold mine.

Yeah, I think I will stick with it for now at least until I get an internship somewhere and test it out.

Lead Flying Crew Chief on Air Force One
Get to fly around the world and see a lot of neat and scary places and party like a rockstar.
If the jets aren't broke- cleaning them. Scheduling maintenance & personel.
MSgt pay over 20yrs in service
Sometimes very long days especially during overseas trips and waxing/cleaning a Boeing 747
After working Air Force II for 5 years I applied for AF1 and after security clearences, got the job.

That my friend is really freaking cool!!!! One day I would love to learn to fly a plane like a small cessna/ultrlight. My mom was a stewardess for Air France and that sounded really cool.

Union Boilermaker

Different types of work almost daily, ridiculous benefits package

Repairing/maintenance of coal fired and nuclear power plants

Not easy to work year round. If willing to travel could work more than you ever imagine

1 month of free welding school and a few safety classes

starting off $50-$55k(more with traveling outside area) with 10% hourly wage increase the next 3 years

I really haven't found anything to make me regret the choice yet. I got in young and am expecting to be retired comfortably around 50