What is the point of so much horsepower for the road??

Mustang4119

May 26, 2004
I maxxed out my GT block at 400rwhp lets say, I really want just cams for that lope, but that would prob blow my motor really soon. What is honestly the point to spend all this money get a shortblock make prob 600rwhp with heads and so on. Its a daily driver and investing alot of money into this. I rarely see anyone on the road to go against. I dont really care about the track, since I have street tires and Im not buying extra wheels to put slicks or drag radials on. Its kind of a big decision because once I get the shortblock, of course I want to max those internals out because I spent so much money to get it in the first place. Then again I really think 400rwhp is slow, doesnt seem much pull.

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang4119 said:
I maxxed out my GT block at 400rwhp lets say, I really want just cams for that lope, but that would prob blow my motor really soon. What is honestly the point to spend all this money get a shortblock make prob 600rwhp with heads and so on. Its a daily driver and investing alot of money into this. I rarely see anyone on the road to go against. I dont really care about the track, since I have street tires and Im not buying extra wheels to put slicks or drag radials on. Its kind of a big decision because once I get the shortblock, of course I want to max those internals out because I spent so much money to get it in the first place. Then again I really think 400rwhp is slow, doesnt seem much pull.

i would think that guys that are pushing 600+ hp are doing it for competitive reasons, not so they can just drive around town. Jim fitzgerald has a 10 second KB GT that is a dd, but it sees a lot of track time... I don't see why you would build a car for that kind of power unless you were trying to win races at the track.

Your reasoning is skewed. You'll pay all that money for a built motor, but won't spend the extra cash to put the power to the ground. Also, aftermarket cams are designed for the power gains, not for the sound

stangGT97 said:
i would think that guys that are pushing 600+ hp are doing it for competitive reasons, not so they can just drive around town. Jim fitzgerald has a 10 second KB GT that is a dd, but it sees a lot of track time... I don't see why you would build a car for that kind of power unless you were trying to win races at the track.

+1 on that point.

Mustang4119 said:

That would require a lot more money to "max out" a good forged short block. You would need a supporting fuel system including tank, pumps, lines, and injectors, and also heads, cams, MAF, big intercooler, plus lots of other "little" things just to come close to maxing out.

And WHY did you supercharge the car if you STILL think it's slow...and refuse to race it? :bs:

The point of so much hp for the road is so your ride can be different, set it apart from the rest of the herd of stangs on the streets. It hella fun having a mustang that can hang with some vettes and saying that 400rwhp doesnt pull very much is total crap, compared to 500rwhp or 600rwhp yeah it doesnt feel like much, but just like you said, when do you run into cars with that much power anyway. Down here where i live with the power i have, makes me the king of the road pretty much. I fear no one and that is a good feeling, even if i only have 378rwhp. ha.

i'm at 375 rwhp and mine is starting to feel normal to me. it does feel fast when i pull up beside a non s/c stang or most other cars, but it feels like it needs more power now. it's sad b/c i have only been blown for 2 months :( and i still want more!

SaleenGT2001 said:
i'm at 375 rwhp and mine is starting to feel normal to me. it does feel fast when i pull up beside a non s/c stang or most other cars, but it feels like it needs more power now. it's sad b/c i have only been blown for 2 months :( and i still want more!

ahh thats the name of the game man, you'll always want more :D

If feels slow? I have heard this before.

But 400RWHP at the peak of the RPM, and a 3500# mustang...its still fast, but not THAT fast I guess. :shrug:

Just get some cams, and have your tuner pull ALOT of timing. Your engine should be fine, but dont go over 6000RPM on the shifts. You want to stay @ 420RWHP or less.