What MODS should I do to my '98 cobra?

j48i

Mar 24, 2003
Need help on wat the first mods I should start doing to my 98 cobra.

1.) What exhaust is the best performing O/R H or X-pipe? And what company is the best performing? (dont care on price money isnt really an issue just want to know which is the best?)

2.) Suspension wise should I go with eibach coilovers for nice a streetable ride but still able to corner very nice? Shocks, struts, etc.?

3.) Should I go with a bbk cold air intake?

4.)Who makes the best smog legal headers?(don't wanna deal with doing headers every 2 years, I can live with switching h or x-pipe out) read a lot of good things about JBA headers but I havent really bothered to look to see if they make it for 98 cobra?

5.)Should I go with pullys also?

6.) What other fairly basic bolt on mods could I do that are worth it?

Note: I'm trying to do everything right the first time around on this car thats why I'm asking you guys what you know to your best knowledge is the best.

ALL HELP IF GREATLY APPRECIATED!

• Sponsors (?)

j48i said:
Need help on wat the first mods I should start doing to my 98 cobra.

1.) What exhaust is the best performing O/R H or X-pipe? And what company is the best performing? (dont care on price money isnt really an issue just want to know which is the best?)

Dr. Gas X-Pipe only. All others are junk. http://www.drgas.com/

2.) Suspension wise should I go with eibach coilovers for nice a streetable ride but still able to corner very nice? Shocks, struts, etc.?

Maximum Motorsports Coilover Package
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/mmcopkg.asp

3.) Should I go with a bbk cold air intake?

No. Anderson Ford Motorsports Power Pipe.
http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/46-index

4.)Who makes the best smog legal headers?(don't wanna deal with doing headers every 2 years, I can live with switching h or x-pipe out) read a lot of good things about JBA headers but I havent really bothered to look to see if they make it for 98 cobra?

Don't really know about headers as I havent messed with them. If you look under your cobra you'll know why. I'd say if you stay NA then spend your money on a Tubular K member then get longtubes.

5.)Should I go with pullys also?

Yes.

6.) What other fairly basic bolt on mods could I do that are worth it?

Note: I'm trying to do everything right the first time around on this car thats why I'm asking you guys what you know to your best knowledge is the best.

ALL HELP IF GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Nitrous.

Hope this helps! :nice:

Ok, first of all the first 2 mods you should do to a Cobra are Gears, 4.10's or 4.30's, nothing numerically lower...Then get a good aftermarket shifter like a Steeda Tri-Ax or a Pro 5.0...

Then get yourself some subframe connectors to keep everything nice and tight, then start on the other stuff..

1. Dr. Gas and VSR x-pipes both seem to make good power, or if you want one with cats get a Magnaflow x-pipe with high flow cats...

2. Not too familiar with suspension, but I've heard good things about the Eibach sports and the Steeda Sports...I really enjoy my Strange struts/shocks and they have a good price tag on them for 10-way adjustables

3. NO, the BBK CAI is good for nothing but looking pretty under the hood...UPR powerpipe, Densecharger, WMS velocity tube, and the Anderson powerpipe are all good air intake systems...

4. Since Longtubes aren't smog legal(I'm assuming you are from Cali) then JBA's or Ford Motorsport shorties are really your only aftermarket header option...From what I've seen the JBA's make similar peak power to long tubes, but don't give the same low/mid range power as the LT's...I'm not sure if the Basanni mid-length headers are smog legal, but it'd also be something to look into since they've been shown to make good power and are a good compromise between shorties and long tubes..

5. Yep, they are good for about 5-8rwhp or so...Stay with the Steeda's or ASP pulleys since they have an integrated balancer in the crank pulley and aren't piggyback like my BBK pulleys or March pulleys are where you have to bolt your stock crank pulley to the new underdrive one

6. And like I said before, Gears, shifter, and subframe connectors...