what oil are you running?

So when people do the 500-1000-3000 mile oil changes on a new car is it just for peace of mind?

That's a holdover from the old days when manufacturers used "sand casts" for the motor parts. The process is much better these days, I hope. I tend to change my oil @ 3000 mile intervals. Today's filters are much better also.

As far as oil, I usually use Pennzoil full synthetic in all my vehicles with the Motorcraft filters. ( All my vehiles now use the same filter, 820S.) :nice: Sometimes Mobil1 or Valvoline if they have a good sale price.

• Sponsors (?)

I used RP 5-20 on my first oil change of owning my car. Ill probably just switch to mobil 5-20 on the next one cause i can get it cheaper. That 0-20 oil is junk, its a gimmick. You save like 100 bucks on gas by the time you hit 50,000 miles i believe is what the bottle said. Its stupid. Another marketing ploy sent during high gas prices to suck people into "saving gas money". I work at jiffylube, have for a few years as well as my detailing business. Fram still blows. Filters are junk, WIX is a great filter, you can get them from NAPA labeled as their NAPA Gold filters, same thing just says NAPA. I however use Motorcraft, Dont fix it if it isnt broken and im sure ford didnt waste millions in R&D on a ****ty filter that they put on every motor from the factory.

Huh? :rolleyes:

I guess one of my big questions is...will the 0-20 satisfy Ford's warranty requirement? Also, has anyone been running 0-20 in their Mustang?

It seems that the better flow at cold temperatures would be a benefit...and at warmer temps it acts the same as a 5-20, right? (feel free to chime in here oil experts...I don't pretend to be one).

My car is at almost 1K miles and I'm changing it to full synthetic next weekend. I've done it before in all my cars without any problems whatsoever except for my last one that shipped with Mobil 1 from the factory.

As for Mobil 1...I've used it, I think it's OK, but the oil always looks filthy black when it's time for the oil change whether that is at 3K or at extended frequencies. Now I know I've read that oil color is supposedly not an indication of quality but that doesn't seem to matter to the oil change guys when they scorn me for how terrible my oil looks...or when I change it myself and it's pitch black. It seems just like conventional oil in that respect.

Amsoil on the other hand always looks like I just changed the oil (perfectly clean) and it also smells different; where Mobil 1 smells like regular oil Amsoil almost has no odor which leads me it's more "synthetic" than Mobil 1 "synthetic". Just rambling here...and I don't pretend to be an oil expert so those that are please offer your opinions. It also kills me to be an Amsoil advocate (since their company seems practically cult-like in their fanatical followers and their sales practices) but damn...I swear my cars seem to have more horsepower and fuel efficiency, plus it looks cleaner when I dump it. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of API certification which the owner's manuals say I need...and the price. Any opinions?

I haven't decided what oil I'm going with yet (0-20, or 5-20, Amsoil, RP, or Mobil1?) so more opinions to sway my decision are appreciated.
The reason why your mobil 1 looks dirty when it comes up for a change is because it is doing its job by suspending particals away from critical parts that can get damaged from carbon build-up(Black oil).
If your oil comes out clean after 3000 miles it is not doing its job.:nice::eek: