What's a good performing all-season tire for the stang?

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I need new tires as the stockers are almost done. I need an all-season tire though. I'd love to get some performance Z-rated tires but every tire i wanted says "Do not drive in snow with these tires"

I NEED to drive my car in snow. I hate the winter rim thing so i just want to get some all-seasons.

What's a good performing all-season tire that is Z-rated preferably and has an attractive thread pattern? 245/45/17

So far i'm looking at the Kumho AST which is H-rated and the ASX which is W-rated.

Any other good choices?

• Sponsors (?)

I like my Falken Ziex ZE-512s which are P245-45ZR17 and are the top rated all season performance sport tire according to independent testing by Consumer Reports.

And I got them for $99 each :nice:

The Kumho ASX are good highway tires and get above average traction
in rain, not sure about snow ( this is Texas ). I got 30k out of them, but
the 712's Kumho Ecsta handle and feel betterBut you will get about 20k
at most from them.

Continental ContiExtremeContact's are very solid in inclement weather, even if their dry traction isnt as good when compared non-all season performance tires. If you arent throwing your car hard into any turns, you will be golden.

I use my Kumhos in the snow, no problems really except for 2 hills if I don't have a running start. I bought snow tires for this winter though.

remember there are currently 4 different pilot sport tires. there is the original Pilot Sport, then there is the Pilot Sport 2 aka PS2, the Pilot Sport A/S and the Pilot Sport Cup competition tire. the A/S version has a 400 treadware rating as well as a W or Y speed rating. i use them for street tires and am getting Pilot Sport Cups for track tires. the PS1 and PS2 tires are also very good for rain, however they have a 220 treadware rating, so you get better grip, but you buy them more often.

I would recommend if your looking for all season weather /snow in that size go with the BFG Gerforce KDWS, BridgeStone RE960AS Pole Position, or the BridgeStone RE92

Michelins are overpriced
Kumhos just suck hardcore
Goodyears are exactly what they say "good year"
Falkens wear horribly
Sumi's are prone to side wall failure
Continentals have weak side walls
Pirreli's tend to be decent but i wouldn't put them on my car.

that actually a good price for that tire. i refuse to put anything but a Michelin Pilot Sport series tire on anything i own.

if you think thats bad, ive been mulling putting a set of SSR GT3s on my stang, the wheels are about $2500 for the set, and the tires would be a 275/35/18 front and 305/30/18 or 335/30/18 rear.

more than 1k for the whole car and a non-racing app;ication is retarded. Kumhos work just fine for most DD application, BFG etc.. work great for light track duty and DD, and then the skinnies and all that work good for track only.

IMO rubber all the way around for 450 bucks (including siping) that works in all weather and most situations is not a bad deal (oh and 25k miles) Kumhos aren't as bad as people talk smack about them.

If I had the money I'd put prettier shoes on my ho, but since I beat the piss out of her, 90 (ok and a lil extra for siping) bucks a tire is an excellent deal.

I have Avon Tech M550 A/S tires. They were the highest rated "Ultra High Performance All-Season" on tirerack when I bought them. I have been extremely impressed by them so far; I cut a better 60' on these all season tires then I did on the Sumitomo HTRZ II's my car came with. Oh, and RE92's suck royally; avoid them at all costs.