What's a good performing all-season tire for the stang?

I've run Continental ContiExtreme Contacts up here in NH for 2 years. They get me through the snow fine even with 3.90 gears. Thank god for Traction Control though.

The only thing I'm disappointed with is their treadwear. They're under 20K miles and I'll need to replace them this winter. BUT -- I'm thinking seriously of getting the same tires again because they ARE good in the snow.

• Sponsors (?)

if you are using traction control in the snow you are setting yourself up for a disaster. Learn how to drive in the snow properly and a little tire spin can safe your car and your life.

Sorry for the minor hijack, but its really dangerous to use TC in the snow.

myponyrocks said:
if you are using traction control in the snow you are setting yourself up for a disaster. Learn how to drive in the snow properly and a little tire spin can safe your car and your life.

+1 TC hurts more than helps.

I have Yokahama Avid H4S's 245/45/17. They are H-rated, not Z-rated, but they handle better than my old Z-rated Dunlops and are very quiet. They also have a 60,000 mile warranty.

myponyrocks said:

I agree. Every time it kicks in it just stops the car dead in it's tracks. It's just better to shut it off and just spin the tires out, at least it won't sound like your rear end is gonna explode whent he TC slams on both rear brakes while you are giving it gas. :rolleyes:

In the rain, TC has saved my ass a few times. I remember one time i was driving on a wet road just after it opened up after 2 weeks of dryness. Well i guess there was a lot of oil on this road. Right after shifting to 2nd the whole car kicked out to the side. I was bust fumbling with the radio after the shift so i was looking down and almost didn't catch it. The TC kicked in first and got me straight.

A lot of guys in the southern states or those that drive only on sunny days talk bad about the TC, but it actually does work. And honestly, how hard is it to hit a button to shut TC off?? :shrug:

Mustang5L5 said:
I agree. Every time it kicks in it just stops the car dead in it's tracks. It's just better to shut it off and just spin the tires out, at least it won't sound like your rear end is gonna explode whent he TC slams on both rear brakes while you are giving it gas. :rolleyes:

In the rain, TC has saved my ass a few times. I remember one time i was driving on a wet road just after it opened up after 2 weeks of dryness. Well i guess there was a lot of oil on this road. Right after shifting to 2nd the whole car kicked out to the side. I was bust fumbling with the radio after the shift so i was looking down and almost didn't catch it. The TC kicked in first and got me straight.

A lot of guys in the southern states or those that drive only on sunny days talk bad about the TC, but it actually does work. And honestly, how hard is it to hit a button to shut TC off?? :shrug:

I've been driving for more than 25 years in new england winters. I KNOW how to drive without TC. But when you're trying to get moving from a stop up a slick, snow covered hill, it's damn nice to be able to start out in 2nd (3.90s pretty much preclude 1st in the winter) engage the clutch and just let the TC cut the fuel enough to keep the tires from spinning.

Your basic idea is right -- learn how to drive before depending on technology to save your ass, but ignoring that technology is silly too. Just learn to use it's strengths and avoid it's weaknesses.

BTW: I'm not sure, but is the TC system in the Mustang is tied into the braking system? I've certainly never felt it "slam on the brakes" for me. What it DOES seem to do is cut fuel and ignition to the engine to keep the horsepower and torque to a non wheel-spinning level.

langod said:
BTW: I'm not sure, but is the TC system in the Mustang is tied into the braking system? I've certainly never felt it "slam on the brakes" for me. What it DOES seem to do is cut fuel and ignition to the engine to keep the horsepower and torque to a non wheel-spinning level.

The TC in the Mustang does operate the rear brakes. I'm 100% on that.

myponyrocks said:
I don't think so.... :shrug:

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_display.cfm?release=457

"For the first time, Mustang offers a traction control system, available on all models. When needed, the all-speed system uses a combination of powertrain and braking controls to provide enhanced vehicle control, particularly on wet or slippery roads."

That's just what i found in a google search, and not where i originally got the info. A few Fords modulate brakes in the TC system. I owned a lincoln Mark 8 with TC that modulated the rear brakes as well.