Whats holding my combo back? (whats next?)

i just posted where i ran a 13.8 @100mph. i'm really happy with what i have but... you know the drill... whats next?
what do you guys think my combo need the most.

--Right now i have a vortech v3 sci pushing 6psi, ford racing headders, off road h-pipe, flowmasters, alum shaft, 3.73 gears.

other then that the car is stock. stock heads, stock t.b., stock mass air, stock susp.

i was thinking a cam may be a good pick as it is cheap (i'm on a budget), a buddy was thinking upper and lower intake, then there is always more boost i could turn it up to 8-10 psi. heads cost too much for right now but i could do a t.b. or mass air.

so guys what do you think would help my combo the most? or what is holding my combo back the most?

• Sponsors (?)

Cheap intake option would help flow a little better would be the explorer upper and lower..being that high up in the air must make a big difference cause I ran a 13.6 @ 100mph with pulleys exhaust and gears..

The cam would be probably the last thing I'd do on a blown motor. Start saving and wait for Summit to put their TFS 170 heads on sale again for $1000.

Also, what was your 60'?

I read over the gears comment, my mistake...

I still say suspension, there is a reason I was able to get my BONE STOCK motor 5.0 to go 12.8 @ 104mph....it had all the suspension to get it to hook and plant to power to the ground.

Intake and heads are holding you back from making more power, but not getting the power you are currently making to the ground is holding you back from being QUICKER.

Can you post the info from the time slip or a pic of the time slip...it tells me a lot.

I read over the gears comment, my mistake...

I still say suspension, there is a reason I was able to get my BONE STOCK motor 5.0 to go 12.8 @ 104mph....it had all the suspension to get it to hook and plant to power to the ground.

Intake and heads are holding you back from making more power, but not getting the power you are currently making to the ground is holding you back from being QUICKER.

Can you post the info from the time slip or a pic of the time slip...it tells me a lot.

I agree.. Suspension will make a world of a difference.. What did you have on your car to pull a 12.8. The only suspension stuff on my car is control arms and they seemed to help the car stay planted at the track. A little to well I guess cause last time I was there I snapped an axle.

While you're waiting for Rick's response, I'll show you my car with practically an identical setup:

1989 Ford Mustang LX - Minor Car Modifications - Fox Buildup

I got rid of my a/c and smog pump and have been thinking about moving the battery. Does the sway bar cause problems on the launch? My car is not a dd so I could take that off I guess. And I am pretty sure the struts are original. They could use changed I am sure.

I got rid of my a/c and smog pump and have been thinking about moving the battery. Does the sway bar cause problems on the launch? My car is not a dd so I could take that off I guess. And I am pretty sure the struts are original. They could use changed I am sure.

The front sway bar doesn't really cause problems, but it slows weight transfer. I don't mind driving on the street without it. If it's more of a drag car, I'd go ahead and take it off. But you need one on the rear. Either a factory style sway bar, or an aftermarket anti roll bar. The struts are probably so worn out, they're not keeping the car from transferring weight :D, but it could certainly benefit from some lakewoods, Strange 10-ways, or something like that.

Seems alittle slow for a s/c setup? Maybe im wrong?

I think he's at really high elevation.

Add more fuel and boost! Give it hell! Just be safe about it. Stock block will take alot of power. I personally wouldnt mess around with little things. Focus on the blower and its supporting mods. Id add some more boost and make sure the fuel system is up to snuff. And id give my tuner a 12pack for an incentive for my tune, lol. Whether or not thats the right thing to do or not is up to you. Good suspension and tires and a driver mod will also be key! Goodluck!