whats the oil guage actually tell me?

lparsons

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 24, 2004
Upstate New York
This is probably a stupid question, and maybe even one I'd find the answer to in the Haynes manual (if I ever read it). But one does the stock oil gague actually represent?
Oil pressure?
Oil volume?
Oil temperature?
Oil flavor?
There's only a L, normal, and H range. I think it could be applied to any of these and more...
:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

It represents Oil Pressure. Keep in mind though that the actual gauge is volt gauge. It measures voltage from the pressure sender on the engine. Initial voltage to the sender will effect the pressure indicated on the gauge. Higher initial voltage will lead to a lower oil pressure reading. As long as you have "R" lbs of pressure, you are good.

Kurt

revhead347 said:
It represents Oil Pressure. Keep in mind though that the actual gauge is volt gauge. It measures voltage from the pressure sender on the engine. Initial voltage to the sender will effect the pressure indicated on the gauge. Higher initial voltage will lead to a lower oil pressure reading. As long as you have "R" lbs of pressure, you are good.

Kurt
yup i think thats dead on... This is why some people like mechanical gauges better..

Just think of it this way... if you're getting a reading on your stock gauge, you're getting oil to your engine. Its just a dummy gauge. If it shows a reading, you're getting oil. Basically the same for the coolant temp

As said multiple times, it's a dummy gauge. First, the oil pressure sending unit is also just a switch, and activates at 6 psi. Second, the wiring in the cluster is setup to only accept discrete input to the oil pressure gauge. There were a few Cobra clusters in 96 IIRC that could be modified to accept analog input from a real oil pressure sender (and a few even came that way from the factory).

If you see the gauge moving, it's because you have an electrical problem somewhere and you should start checking for broken grounds.

Dave

If the needle is not moving around after initial start_up (and in the "NORMAL") then you are okay with oil pressure. If it is jumping around while you are driving then you have a voltage issue between the sender and the gauge.

I have taken the stock sender apart (by accident). It's not just a switch, it's a slide on a resistor. I have noticed a difference in the gauge too. I have both the stock gauge and a mechanical one. When I went from a stock motor, it read 'R' at around 40 psi, and now it reads 'L' at around 60 psi. It's not just a dummy gauge.

Kurt