Wheel bearing

Jan 17, 2004
alright just as I am ready to go to paint. My car starts this death vibration on the way home from work.

I taka apart the fron whell and I can wiggle the front disc (ssbc conversion). I take apart the front bearing to find metal shavings inside the grease of the outer bearing:mad: Well I inspected the race on the rotor and it looked ok. I inspected the spindle and I noted the machine marks where the outer bearing rides was finer then the rest of the spindle. There are no gouges. However, I tried to reinstall the bearing and i noticed it would install then stop. I cleaned and tried again and this time it pushed all the way to where the tapper began. I have attached 2 picture from my cell.

Do I have to start looking for new spindles or is this normal?

I know I need new ones based on the shavings.

• Sponsors (?)

It looks like the bearing is stopping where the spindle enlarges which would be proper. I'd want to find where the metal shavings came from if you don't think they're off the spindle. Did you look closely at the roller bearings on the outer bearing to see that they're not pitted? You might just want to start with a new bearing.
I use emery cloth to smoothe my spindle surfaces when I rebuild to get a nice smoothe surface w/o leaving grooves.
Jon

The pictures are pretty grainy, but I don't see anything unusual. When installed, the outer bearing doesn't butt up against the beginning of that taper; it seats in the rotor's bearing race with the spindle nut on the other side.

Definitely replace the bearing, however. Metal chips are bad.

I would replace both the bearings and races. And completely clean out the shaving filled grease. The outer bearing's outer face, when installed, doesn't go farther than the last threads of the spindle. There's usually at least 1/4 to 3/8" of threads outside of the flat washer and retainer nut when tightened.

like the others said, i dont see anything wrong with the spindle which means your metal shavings came from somewhere else. i would also replace the bearings and races, and clean everything spotless to make sure i got all the metal shavings out of the system. and that includes the cavity in the hub. the other thing is to not set the wheel bearing preload too tight, and use a good quality grease.

Here is a better picture of the spindle. The outer bearing fit loose, but the new one is a tight fit. I did notice there are grooves either cut or worn into the back of the spindle.

Attachments

• groovew.jpg
    groovew.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 145
  • spindle.jpg
    spindle.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 189
Now that spindle doesn't look kosher. Looks like the inner bearing was spinning on the spindle. I'd have a machinist look it over before reusing it.

I was wondering about that. All the ones I have seen on ebay had those grooves in them. The new granada ones don't. Is there a groove normally there? I have never had a inner bearing failure, the inner bearing didn't have and score marks, or discoloration besides a polishing effect on the part numbers.

Is this something that can be fixed? possible ground down?

The new bearing and old one for that matter fit good on the spindle. When pushed all the way in there is no movement.

I was wondering about that. All the ones I have seen on ebay had those grooves in them. The new granada ones don't. Is there a groove normally there? I have never had a inner bearing failure, the inner bearing didn't have and score marks, or discoloration besides a polishing effect on the part numbers.

Is this something that can be fixed? possible ground down?

The new bearing and old one for that matter fit good on the spindle. When pushed all the way in there is no movement.

I can see an area between your arrows that looks like a partial metal flake buildup on the filet of the spindle leading up to the seal surface. Thats either from the bearing race spinning or poor machining.

so if that groove really should be there? The rust looking circle where the seal rides gets cleaned with emery cloth usually 1 time a year. I have yet been able to keep that rust away no matter how mush grease I slobber on it. My main concern is where the bearing rides against the back of the spindle. Its a little pocket cut into the spindle. The dark patch on the spindle is bad machining. Its smooth the picture just makes it look like there is a step.

Dose anyone have a picture of a good spindle? I checked the Internet and all I can find so far is rusted ones on ebay

No they are stock v-8 drum spindles. The rust actually comes off with brake cleaner and a nylon brush. I am more concerned with the the recess (groove) in the vertical mating surface where the rear bearing is touching the spindle. Is this recess (groove) there on good spindles?

Here is a different pic of the groove.
groovec.jpg

the crap on the back is not metal just grease, rust, and rag debris. My digital camera is almost as old as my mustang. LMAO