Which tires to get?

Stangdriver13

Jul 31, 2006
I'm going to be ordering some new rear tires for my car. First set for this car and I was wondering which to get between BF KDW2'S, Nitto 555R's, or Mickey Thompson ET Streets. This will be for mostly street driving but I do go to the track a few times a year and want a good dr for when I go. An opinions welcome

• Sponsors (?)

If you run DRs on the street you stand a very good chance of wrecking your car and possibly death.

i wouldn't go THAT far. lots of mustang/f-body owners run DR's (you do know DR's aren't slicks right?) on the street and they do fine as long as they keep their foot out of it when it's pouring, ask some members in the 5.0 forum

unless this guy's an utter retard i think he'll be alright. that said i'd go with the BFG's since DR's will last maybe 10,000 miles before replacement

I have seen many threads with pics of the results of running DRs in the rain. So do not tell me "they do fine".

He already said he will rarely go to the track so why endanger his car, his life, and everyone around him on the road so he can occaisonally get a few tenths at the track?

BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW $188 each at www.discounttire.com

mtahz9.xl.jpg

Yeah I'm going to agree with Kilgore on this one - not worth the risk when you don't really need the DRs on the street. Why not just mount them on another pair of rims and swap them for the track/dry weather??

The nitto 555Rs work pretty darn well in the wet....I dont have any issues with them....just my fronts that are getting VERY wore down. If its very heavy rain I drive 45MPH and im ok. 55 in moderate rain and the speed limit if there is no standing water or it just started raining.

Dont act like an idiot and keep GOOD tires on the front and you should be fine.

People hydroplane ALL THE TIME on good all weather tires...if your an idiot, no tires will save you! Sometimes you guys are rediculous...I wonder how many pics I can find of random people skidding off the road in the rain with NON DR tires. :rolleyes: . Infact I just seen some lady in a pretty new car that had just got pulled out of the ditch...im going to go out on a limb here, but ill be willing to bet she wasnt running drag radials on her 4 door luxury car :rlaugh:
Be smart and you will be fine...if it means late for work then do it....its not worth your life or your car....just leave earlier on rainy days :nice: . The nittos should also last a good 15,000 miles...the other DRs out there get 3000-5000 miles.

The nitto 555Rs work pretty darn well in the wet....I dont have any issues with them....just my fronts that are getting VERY wore down. If its very heavy rain I drive 45MPH and im ok. 55 in moderate rain and the speed limit if there is no standing water or it just started raining.

Dont act like an idiot and keep GOOD tires on the front and you should be fine.

People hydroplane ALL THE TIME on good all weather tires...if your an idiot, no tires will save you! Sometimes you guys are rediculous...I wonder how many pics I can find of random people skidding off the road in the rain with NON DR tires. :rolleyes: . Infact I just seen some lady in a pretty new car that had just got pulled out of the ditch...im going to go out on a limb here, but ill be willing to bet she wasnt running drag radials on her 4 door luxury car :rlaugh:
Be smart and you will be fine...if it means late for work then do it....its not worth your life or your car....just leave earlier on rainy days :nice: . The nittos should also last a good 15,000 miles...the other DRs out there get 3000-5000 miles.
When you get older and wiser you will learn not to take unnecessary risks.

Ever since you got the TTs your attitude has really gone down hill. I will have to say that I no longer like or respect you. Sorry :shrug:

You have a lot to learn young man, it ain't gonna be me that edumacates you... Have a nice life.

KDW2 are an awesome tire, both in the wet and dry. I wish they would make in 315 because I would for sure get them. As for DR for in the rain. Sure you can do it, but you pretty much have to baby it around. But for a few times going to the track a year, you don't need them. You will be a the wet roads more than the track. Be on the safe side and get the KDWs. You won't regret it.

My baby will never see rain, i got a new paint job and NM never has rain. :( But when i did drive in the rain it was scary when i hit a puddle i could feel my tires lose grip. Pick up 2 rims from americanmuscle and put the DR on. When you want to race swap em. Or if you just want to I would roll on the Nittos when they are (brand new) they are great. BFGs hook up but they are ****y in the rain.

I think i'm goin to go with some eagle f1's for the street after looking and putting a set of most likely mt et streets on a separate pair of rims for the track. Also last question, will 275's fit on my 8" rim, just on the back staying with 245's up front

You do realize your driving an unnecessary risk right? And what about your posts that mention you "picking" on 05 GTs and streetracing. So it seems you also havnt arrived at the "older and wiser" stage yet :shrug: .

Dont be a hypocrite mang.

Dude, bad call. Why would you make fun of killy, don't you know he's the be all, end all of mustang knowledge on this board? He never admits he is wrong because he simply never is. What do you know anyways, all you did was craft your own twin turbo setup... n00b. :rlaugh: good burn man

Dude, bad call. Why would you make fun of killy, don't you know he's the be all, end all of mustang knowledge on this board? He never admits he is wrong because he simply never is. What do you know anyways, all you did was craft your own twin turbo setup... n00b. :rlaugh: good burn man
I will agree it was a fairly good burn. It is not just that post that torqued me off though but an accumulation of annoyance coming from him and directed towrds me in many posts over the last few months. He is like the new version of DBMSTNG who now has a permanent place on my ignore list.

Anyways, if you knew me at all you would know that I absolutely do admit when I am wrong. I would link some proof but I do not care enough about yout opinion of me to bother to do so :shrug:

As for the be all end all of Mustang knowledge, that would be guys like Randy, Mike, and teh Gearbanger. I never claimed to be such a person, I am an amatuer hobbyist mechanic only and my knowledge is limited to 99+ only.

When you have helped as many people here as I have though, then and only then you might be justified in criticizing me.

Well Killy actually I was going to say the same thing about you since you bought your cobra. If you notice iv only really been calling you down since you have bought the 03....IMHO you have become EXTREMELY self rightous and got a big head....your always getting called down on SVTperformance for your rude and/or opinionated comments. Its not just me. Its like your right and everyone else is wrong....all im doing is telling the truth and you dont like it.

That wasnt really a burn, it was 100% true. If you notice Killy, I didnt quote you nor was i directing my statement only at you...note the "you guys" part...I was just telling the facts vs what a few of you said. And then you come back and quoted me and basically said that your wiser than me and more responsible....SO I just threw out some more facts. How wise are you if your street racing like anyone else? Basically im tring to bring you back to earth mang, dont take it so hard.

Though I do oppologize if I present it rudely sometimes...I try not too, but im not perfect.

People hydroplane all the time, yet you pick out the fairly few instances of DRs being on a stang that got sent into the ditch, and both you and the owner blame it on the tires.
NO, its the owners fault 100%. He knew what tires he had on the car and he also knew it was raining....THE OWNER made the call to drive faster than he should have and you know this. Sometimes I think you just go off the wall on purpose just to amuse yourself, and thats really what I dont like.
Give people a straight unbias answer and let them know what the risks are, but dont basically tell them that they are going to crash their car if they drive in the rain W/ DRs.

Im done here so I dont cause the thread to get locked lol. Good luck thread starter in whatever decision you make....and another thing to note, @ your current power lv just some wider street tires would give you all the traction you need IMO. :nice: You dont NEED to DRs quite yet...but when you get a blower and start spinning @ 60MPH when you go WOT, then you should really consider them :)