Who runs 12s with barely anything???

• Sponsors (?)

With my old 89 Mustang before I sold it I ran a 12.8 @ 108mph. At that time the car had a 255lph fuel pump, ZEX 100 shot, TB, EGR, AFPR, Ported and Polished Upper and Lower intake, and MAF meter. Everything else on the car was stock.

It was probably the cheapest way to get into the 12's and the suspension was bone stock! With some control arms, drag springs, and some sub frames I could have knocked down my 60ft and probably made it to the mid 12's.

The Fox said:
My friend seems to think 12's are "farfetched" with a fox mustang. I tried explainin that people do it with less. Does this sound possible...

4.10s + Drag Radials + Good H/C/I = 12s?

Anthony's 2 cents.

ABSOLUTELY !

mt old notch went 13.28 w/ 4.10's , 5-speed, southsides and exhaust + et streets
12.50's w/ a 75 shot

i had the eddy heads, cobra intake (ex. honed), b-cam, and 24's waiting to go on...then it got stolen

but i fully expected a 12.80 minimum out it. N/A

i was gonna jet it out to 100 when the HCI went on to try and hit 11.90's

Breaking into the 12's isn't that difficult but keep in mind 12's arn't slow. Some people act like 12's are so easy "Yeah, with nothing but a gear and slicks" which anyone who has been to a 1/4 track knows that with good torque and traction making a really hard launch the slick/gear only car might look great to the 1/8th mark but then just won't have the top end to pull it ahead.

A basic H/C/I with some traction and gear can get there, but then again, I've scene a H/C/I 331 on ET streets with a best of 13.0, but like anything else there are extremes on each side.

12s are easy... Just playing with 90mustangGT.

I have been 12.9 on radials and 12.5 on slicks with stock H/C (the heads have valves, vlave job and rockers) and a Cobra intake. The suspensions all stock, 3.73s, and most of the bolt ons!

12s can be had on a stock motor, with some weight gone, the right gear, slicks, and some good driving, but a lot of people wont see them.

I can say for street tires I have probably the weakest combo that will get you into the 12s.

N8Miller said:

12.89 @ 104mph, 169,000 miles, stock H/C/I TB, MAF, inj,etc.. just had 1.625" long tubes, 2.5" exhaust, K&N filter, 1.7 rockers, SSM lowers, 50/50's, 70/30's Eibach DR kit, 3:73's M&H Racemasters 26"x 10.5" (Basically an ET STREET)

Same combo went a best of 13.02 @ 102 on a true BFG Radial street tire, bald as ....well you know.

ya I was going to suggest 25thmustang but hes already here :nice: . Hes a kid and runs those time its crazy, whenever people say how us kids cant drive I always think of him. 12s deffinately acheivable with good traction, weight reduction, and some gears and ofcourse some good driving to go with it.

Rick 91GT said:
12.89 @ 104mph, 169,000 miles, stock H/C/I TB, MAF, inj,etc.. just had 1.625" long tubes, 2.5" exhaust, K&N filter, 1.7 rockers, SSM lowers, 50/50's, 70/30's Eibach DR kit, M&H Racemasters 26"x 10.5" (Basically an ET STREET)

Same combo went a best of 13.02 @ 102 on a true BFG Radial street tire.

Wow, I went 13.0 on radials a bunch of times, but I was well over 106. I really need some better street tires (I was on Falken 245/45/17s) and some better 60's. Granted it was my first time on radials in a stick car and I was cutting 2.0s all day, I really think it has some 12.8s on a true radial tire!

ERnotch also went 12.77 with an untouched long block, bolt ons, and suspension. The stock motors can get you there, but its going to take a lot out of the hole as most will only see 102-104 traps.

There is a guy on the Corral whose going 12.50s on a stock motor. The car is a race car, but the motors stock. Just goes to show you it can be done!

skittlestang said:
i ran 13.1 with a 93 hatchback... with some ET streets and no mods. i only ran it once.. it launched so hard that i thought i was gonna break something

I could be wrong but a car that normally would run mid to high 14's, would be very difficult to get to 13.1 with only a hellavu launch. Are you sure the car was stock when you bought it?

- and for the thread's sake, A bone stock 5.0 engine in a Notchback with a holley 174 blower. 17" wheels w/ street tires. w/ a bone stock c4 automatic tranny will get you into the high 12's no prob.