will a stock 5.0 beat a stock 4.6?

• Sponsors (?)

QuickCapri83 said:
I've owned enough 5.0's to know that a 99+ will beat a 5.0. The 99+ just has alot more pull above 3k rpm than the other 4.6's and the 5.0's also. Considering equal driver, perfect conditions, both 5 spds, brand new off the show room floor, 99+ takes it in my experience.
A notchback would put up the best numbers, but the 99+ just run pretty good for a tiny 2V.

My 99 Limited is defonantly quicker than the 4 5.0's i've had. No bias either, I love the 5.0 as much as anyone.

Agreed!!
As I've said before, stock 5.0's run high 14's low 15's, the Gt's are about the same as the 96'-98' GT's with the LX's being slightly quicker. Granted the 5.0 will go fairly well with gears, exhaust and DR's but then again so will the 99'-up 4.6's, but the thread starter said "stock" and I don't remember seeing DR's, 4.10's and an off-road exhaust on the option list on any of the 5.0's I've owned over the years.

BurningRubber said:
Cause GT's were the heaviest Fox's, most of them ran a 14.8-15 flat stock with a 5 speed, and mid 15's or worse auto.

An LX coupe like squares is talking about is a ton lighter.

Ive driven one and it feels faster than my GT.
It feels faster b/c the 5.0 torque curve starts very low [peak torque for the 4.6 is 3500rpm], just taking it for a drive it feels fast but if you run it through the gears you'll notice that it really doesn't go as good as the first impression would make you think.

My LX coupe weights 3037lbs
My old 91 GT 3191lbs
My 98' 3227lbs
You'll notice that my LX will weight about the same with a 200lbs passanger as my GT weights with just me in it.
I really liked every 5.0 that I've ever owned [I kept the 91' as I just couldn't seem to part with it] but in reality when stock they really arn't very fast.

My 96 GT Auto w/ CAI and Flowmaster catback got walked all over by my friends 88 GT 5spd w/ some sort of ignition and shorty headers...I suppose since the 5.0's are so mod friendly though + him being manual and me not would seal my coffin from the start though.

CanadaStang said:
Nope, given equal drivers the 99' up GT will walk all over a 5.0
I've had a few 5.0 LX's [still own a 91' LX] at the same time as I've owned my 98' GT. The stock 5spd 5.0 will just edge out the stock 98' in the 1/4, 14.89 vs 14.91. The 5.0 GT's usually run very high 14's-low 15's.
When my old 92 GT was bone stock N/A a 99+ GT with the PI cylinder heads
would walk all over my 92 GT.One of my good friends has a 01 GT and
bone stock down to the air filter ran a 13.99 in the 1/4.

BurningRubber said:
A LX coupe could take a 99+ GT... the LX hatch and GT are less likely, especially the heavier GT.

squares98 said:
a stock 88+ lx 5 speed "could" take out a 99+

Maybe with my 89 year old Grandma driving the 99+

BurningRubber said:
A stock LX coupe with a 5 speed is capable of high 13's. Most stock 99+ GT's seem like they are 14-14.4 or so. Mine went 9 flat in the 1/8th, so comparitivley to what BooWFO is saying, the notch is 2 10ths quicker than I in the 1/8th mile.

:rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh: :lol:

99+ GT's can run a high 13 stock in the 1/4 mile if the person
behind the wheel has the driver mod lol.
When I had my 92 GT the best I could muster was a
14.5 in the 1/4 and I do consider myself a good driver.
When I got my Nitrous Express kit installed lets just say
the car seemed unbeatable lol.

Just wondering over here and saw this tread. My 93GT 5spd is very lightly modded, items are in my sig. The best I could get was a 9.3 in the 1/8th, but my hole shots were not where they should of been. Need to go out more often. I think I ran that on my 3rd or 4th pass. Now I consider myself a rookie in comparison. That was my 1st time out to the track and was very nervous, nevertheless had a blast. I did run my 89GT 5spd back in the early 90's and it hit a 8.9, but didn't know what if any mods it had. Id'e like to run against a 4.6 to see.