will a stock 5.0 beat a stock 4.6?

GT JAY said:

Wow, your hilarious...

I could understand insulting me if I was pulling that stuff out of my ass, but im going by what ive seen or heard first hand.

So if you dont buy it, fine with me...:nice:

All this argueing wont do much good if no one is gonna line up a bone stock LX notch, and a bone stock 99+ GT.

And yeah I watched the trunkless racing video. Was the 5.0 an LX hatch or notch, or a GT? And it had an auto, which definatly wasnt helping it, along with the fact the GT had 4.10's, a tune, and at least exhaust... of course its gonna rape off the line.

And for the record, I said "could" beat a 99+ GT, not "always will". Big difference there.

• Sponsors (?)

d98gt said:
Only one way to tell. Race and come back with results.

Actually there has been a bunch of us that has owned [I've owned 3 and have been racing them for over 10 years] or currently owns a 5.0 LX that has done exactly that, but no matter how many times we say that a 99' up will walk all over them, other's who have never owned or raced one keep bragging about how fast they are in stock trim :bang:
I guess I should shut up and join in, I might be able to sell my 5.0 for a hefty price!!:D

BurningRubber said:
Wow, your hilarious...

I could understand insulting me if I was pulling that stuff out of my ass, but im going by what ive seen or heard first hand.

So if you dont buy it, fine with me...:nice:

All this argueing wont do much good if no one is gonna line up a bone stock LX notch, and a bone stock 99+ GT.

And yeah I watched the trunkless racing video. Was the 5.0 an LX hatch or notch, or a GT? And it had an auto, which definatly wasnt helping it, along with the fact the GT had 4.10's, a tune, and at least exhaust... of course its gonna rape off the line.

And for the record, I said "could" beat a 99+ GT, not "always will". Big difference there.

Well what ever kid! With equal drivers and ideal track conditions for both, the 4.6 wins everytime. Just because you suck as a driver and got :owned: by a stock 5.0 doesn't mean Jack$hit! :rlaugh:

CanadaStang said:
Agreed!!
As I've said before, stock 5.0's run high 14's low 15's, the Gt's are about the same as the 96'-98' GT's with the LX's being slightly quicker. Granted the 5.0 will go fairly well with gears, exhaust and DR's but then again so will the 99'-up 4.6's, but the thread starter said "stock" and I don't remember seeing DR's, 4.10's and an off-road exhaust on the option list on any of the 5.0's I've owned over the years.

For what it's worth: my then-brand-new 1987 Mustang GT ran a best time of 14.6 in the quarter mile back in July of 1987. (Still have the timeslip around somewhere....)

squares98 said:
a stock 88+ lx 5 speed "could" take out a 99+
BurningRubber said:
A LX coupe could take a 99+ GT.
You guys are getting a little ahead of yourselves. A '99-up GT with all things being equal will still handle an old Fox coupe 9/10 times....Mass Air, Speed Density....Factory Stripper....doesn't matter.
BurningRubber said:
A stock LX coupe with a 5 speed is capable of high 13's. Most stock 99+ GT's seem like they are 14-14.4 or so.
A stock Coupe running 13's is as rare as rocking horse ****! You're more likely to see a '99-up hit 13's before a Fox does.

There are gonna be factory freaks on both sides of the fence, but as a whole....the PI headed 4.6's are king of the hill.

....unless you bring 3V and 4V heads into the fray. ;)

this does remind me lol... a while back. I think it was right after my gears and tune. I caught 2 fox bodies playing at a light. it was 1am and the road was pretty much dead. I went for a cruise because i couldnt sleep.

they punched off and got out prolly 300 feet and the car in my lane got a car length lead... i then split the gap and passed him to:lol:

shut it down around 85 and we pulled over. they were both bone stock.

joshjwc9 said:
How about a bone stock 99+GT vs. 94-95 5.0? It cant be as close because earlier this week my 99% stock GT 'vert whooped on a '95 5.0 5 speed. And the only mods I have are Flowmasters and CAI.

The 94-95 GT's weight 90lbs more than a 91 GT, both use the same engine. Given equal drivers, traction, gears etc. the older GT should edge out the 94-95. Unless of course the driver of the fox has a 100lbs passenger :D
The 94-95's are more aerodynamic than the old fox's so once the speeds get higher they should start to crawl away.

GT JAY said:
Well what ever kid! With equal drivers and ideal track conditions for both, the 4.6 wins everytime. Just because you suck as a driver and got :owned: by a stock 5.0 doesn't mean Jack$hit! :rlaugh:

Im not a "kid", dont suck at driving, and never said that I lost to a stock 5.0...:shrug:

Whenever you guys want to stop ragging on me is fine with me. All that I said is that a 5.0 LX is capable of hitting high 13's. Ive seen timeslips of stock 5.0 coupes hitting a 13.9x before, and Gearbanger is right, thats rare as horse*****. I didnt say that its gonna happen every time, but some people take it like I said "THE 4.6 WILL NEVER WIN AGAINST A 5.0". All I said was that it is possible if you are a real good driver with the 5.0 coupe, to beat a stock 99+ GT. There are a few guys on here with a few bolt ons and their 1/4 mile times in their sigs with 5 speed cars that cant manage better than 14.3... Then again, there are people that have pulled a high 13 in a bone stock down to the filter 99+ GT.

So lets stop ragging on me when all I gave was my opinion on it, just like everyone else did. I wasnt bashing the 4.6's or calling anyone out, so wtf is everyone giving me a hard time for?

Lets put it like this, equal drivers both cars are stock then the 4.6 should win. BUT, if the 5.0 has a better driver then I wouldnt put it past him to beat the GT.

BurningRubber said:
BUT, if the 5.0 has a better driver then I wouldnt put it past him to beat the GT.
What does "BUT" have to do with this? Don't take this as "ragging on you", but the thread title wasn't "Will a stock 5.0L Coupe with a better driver beat a 4.6L GT with a mediocre driver?" The thread title was "will a stock 5.0 beat a stock 4.6?" I mean....a good driver in a stock Mustang can beat an inexperienced driver of a Viper at the track, but what does that prove about the cars?

….and all things being equal, with respect to the topic at hand....taking the fastest of the 5.0L Fox’s, SN95’s, NPI 4.6’s and PI 4.6’s, the 99-up 4.6L GT comes out on top….over all others!!!

/thread

Gearbanger 101 said:
What does "BUT" have to do with this? Don't take this as "ragging on you", but the thread title wasn't "Will a stock 5.0L Coupe with a better driver beat a 4.6L GT with a mediocre driver?" The thread title was "will a stock 5.0 beat a stock 4.6?" I mean....a good driver in a stock Mustang can beat an inexperienced driver of a Viper at the track, but what does that prove about the cars?

….and all things being equal, with respect to the topic at hand....taking the fastest of the 5.0L Fox’s, SN95’s, NPI 4.6’s and PI 4.6’s, the 99-up 4.6L GT comes out on top….over all others!!!

/thread

I guess "BUT" really doesnt have to do anything with it, I guess I was just throwing it out there which really didnt do much... haha.

Stock vs. stock, drivers equal the 4.6 takes the win.

Now we can /thread.

repost.jpg