will stock alternator hold up?????

89lxvert34

Dec 10, 2003
chicago
hey guys i just installed my proform electric fan and will be recieving my BBK u/d pullies in tuesday to put on, My question is will the stock alternator hold up > By the way i also got a painless products fan relay kit along with the fan...I don't have a booming sound system just an aiwa c.d. player and speakers all around nothing big , i am also going to be bypassing my A/C and smog pump (I searched the threads, but quite haven't got the answer. Thanx

• Sponsors (?)

well the U/D's are not gonna help any. what kind of amps does your new fan suck. if it is not much, i think you might be able to get by, if you really watch the gauge and are conscientious about what accessories are on at once.
good luck.

what is the amp's on stock alt? 70 right?

my car had a 110 supposivly when i got it. with my parking lights on, heater on first notch, and just my deck with no amp it would be hammered until i was moving over 20. then if i turned the deck up at all, it would flash the lights.

so i bought a 3G 200 amp alt. now i can have high beams on, stereo going any volume with 2 rockford amps/subs, ect, heater full blast whatever and it doesn't even phase it. thats when im sitting also

i would invest in a better alt. i seriously doubt that the stocker is going to work very well with all of that stuff, especially the UD pullies. good luck

i have the same fan and a stock alt. for a while and it held up fair(no stereo)but when i added march underdrives it was marginal,just upgrade to a 3ga,i got mine used at carlisle for $40 and bought the wiring kit from pa performance.great upgrade.

Electric fan = 3G alternator if you want long life & reliablity from your car.

A relay is nothing more than another way to close a switch. They don't make more current or ease the starting current surge. The DCControl fan controller would at least ease the starting surge, but you are still left with an electrical system that is underpowered when everything is on.

Figure this:
Ignition system & computer = 12 amps
Fuel pump = 12 amps
Exterior lights = 15 amps
Fan (heater or A/C) = 15 amps (can run between 5-25 amps depending on setting)
Radio & instruments = 10 amps
Wipers = 10 amps

That's grand total of 74 amps from a 65 amp alternator. Talk about overdrawn at the bank!

Scorcher2005 said:
y would taking smog and ac off help the alt? the alt doesnt turn the belt...i believe that is the cranks job, therefore helping the crank.
i took it as info from him and to let us know that he will not be running the a/c (with the blower on high, which sucks a lot of juice).

there is a guy on ebay who sells the 3g alts for a very good price. i got my 200 amp one off him for 150 buyout i believe it was, when everyone else charges double that.

ill see if i can find any of his auctions still.

88SC_GT said:
there is a guy on ebay who sells the 3g alts for a very good price. i got my 200 amp one off him for 150 buyout i believe it was, when everyone else charges double that.

ill see if i can find any of his auctions still.

It's probably the same guy at the link i posted. I got his info from his ebay auctions.