won't idle

stangnutlx

May 24, 2005
Coventry, RI
2001 GT 5 speed, Car has been sitting for about 2 weeks i went to run her today but it starts the dies. Restarts then dies. I start it and hold the throttle and it runs fine but wont idle.

Any ideas what it could be? It did it to me once before but i let it sit for 20 mins and went back out and it ran fine.

• Sponsors (?)

It is definately because of the idle control valve.

The idle control valve on my 97 has been sticking in cold weather. It does exactly the same thing as you described. If I drive it, once the valve gets some heat, it unsticks and idles properly. In my case, I removed the valve and cleaned it well. Seems to be working so far, but the best solution would be to replace it. I cleaned mine last winter and it worked great until the temps got into the teens again this winter.

So in short, replace the idle control valve. It's very easy. If you don't want to spend any money, you can take it off, and clean it up, and it might start working again.

It is definately because of the idle control valve.

The idle control valve on my 97 has been sticking in cold weather. It does exactly the same thing as you described. If I drive it, once the valve gets some heat, it unsticks and idles properly. In my case, I removed the valve and cleaned it well. Seems to be working so far, but the best solution would be to replace it. I cleaned mine last winter and it worked great until the temps got into the teens again this winter.

So in short, replace the idle control valve. It's very easy. If you don't want to spend any money, you can take it off, and clean it up, and it might start working again.

This is my first mod motor car. Are the gaskets on these cars Orings or real gaskets?

It's mostly real gaskets. The idle control valve is a gasket. My gasket broke into a bunch of small pieces last time I had the valve off, and it doesn't seem to have any vacume leaks.