wooden intake spacer! good idea!

Foxfan88 said:
what if i were to coat the wooden spacer with some fiberglas resin or something. To where the wood would never be exposed to anything...

At that point your cost will exceed what you can buy a used spacer for.

This is a critical spot on your engine, so why use a half-assed part? :shrug: :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Foxfan88 said:
what if i were to coat the wooden spacer with some fiberglas resin or something. To where the wood would never be exposed to anything...

i mean we build houses with wood, and they stand for YEARS, if wood is so bad lets build all our houses with aluminum or cast iron.... i dont see how a wooden intake spacer would be too far off the spectrum, it will be exposed to alot, but so is a wooden house and it gets alot more abuse.

i would rather try it, bc obviosly it hasnt been tried enough and documented the results on it.

The wood in houses are not ment to be exposed to moisture and heat like a spacer is. That is why we dont use wood siding anymore unless it is treated, almost everyone now a days uses fiberglass siding. If you get mositure in a house what happenes to the wood...it rots. Also the wood isnt exposed to several hundred degree temps, then cooled again and start the whole thing everyday. There is gas that passes through the upper intake also....EGR? GAs will be absorbed into the wood and could cause a problem, also wood is flameable unlike the plastic resin. If you coat it with fiberglass good luck on getting a true surface that will seal....Its your car but i wouldnt do it.

You guys laugh but at least on carbed cars, wood is the way to go if you want a carb spacer. First off you don't just use any wood, you use a really high quality plywood that's been treated and weather sealed so the gas doesn't effect it. Second, the reason for using wood is that it insulates better than metal (which is why they went to the poly spacers....cheap to make, don't transfer heat and last like wood or aluminum) and they're cheap to make if you can use a jigsaw. I imagine if you got good quality wood and you didn't run boost or juice, you could run one on a EFI engine with no problem at all. Laugh all you want but that's the truth :D

I just dont see why you would do this, a intake space online is 12 bucks! Its going to be more expensive to find the wood, carve it yourself and find out it dosent work, or have a master carpenter somehoe carve it for you JUST perfect so all the bolt holes line up, and all the holes are perfectly round, and line up perfect.

I agree with everyone else, the heat cylces and moisture will be too much for the wood.

I think a peice of drift wood would work best. Heck while your making parts out wood why dont you just throw a couple of 2x4's on the jig saw and cut out a set of control arms so your stang hooks better.

just joking.

with the time, effort, and money already spent why would you half a$$ such a cheap part. :bang: :bang: :bang:

i wouldnt call it half assing, at this point it would be to show that i will try and see how it goes for myself. Sure it may not work, and if it doesnt, who cares. i found out MYSELF, i just didnt follow the bandwagon. alot of the common stangs beliefs that float around, are false. for instance, people swore UP AND DOWN the AOD x-member would not work AT ALL, NOT A CHANCE for it to fit the t5, well what happened.... I reused the aod xmember, i didnt have to modify it, it fit right up, the same way it went in b4.

people say the FRPP cams are junk, i find that a lie. i ran mine and it runs and sounds awesome. definatly a performer. people talk trash on ported stock parts. I run a tmoss ported lower and thumper heads, is the car crap. Hell no its stronger than a mother and i am right up there with my friends stangs that have ported P heads and ported gt-40 intake. and another car with a 5lb vortech that ran 12.80. i rode in the car and mine feels on the same level.

i find the problem is, alot of people base their descisions on the popular belief, someone may tell them something, i had people tell me the B-cam sucked, poeple that havent even ran a B-cam. well i would rather find out for myself.
nobody does their own thing.

i made my car different for a reason, to be different haha, i ran ported stock parts, bc i did research and for what i was making the car, it was perfect, i changed to bullets, bc they sounded good in mobs clips and bc nobody hardly runs them in a mustang, so my stang is a one of a kind in town, all the rest have flows and the gt-40 or w/e all the common stuff, when you see it, its like "yeah i have a friend with a car like that" or "i pretty much have the same car"

i want people to say " wow havent seen anything like this b4" when they look at my car.

people are missing out on alot of the fun these 5.0 stangs have to offer.
CUSTOMIZATION! there are so many parts to choose from, why get the same heads and cam as john doe... thats not cool. i try to find something different.

in the olden day (lol) i ran a 16.7 @ 84 with my car, it was an AOD and stock engine with a crappy exhaust. I was real down for a while about it, i dreamed of having a 5liter and when i finally got one, it acts like a 4 cyl. i was a joke on the site. maybe i still am i duno lol

people told me to get rid of the car, that it would never run good, and i would spend too much money, i almost did get rid of it, but i decided, i must save this stang, if i get rid of it, it will never get back to good shape. So i took the time, spent money ( like 1200$ :D), did some bolt ons and a t5 swap. I went back to the track with the same engine than ran the high 16s, and busted off a best of 13.9 at 97 and 14.1@99

QUITE THE IMPROVEMENT, u guys couldnt imagine how i felt then, felt better than ever! i took the POS stang to a quick street car, i won every race i got in in town, only cars that would beat me were other 5.0 stangs of course lol. our city is small so we dont have very fast cars.

Then i built a decent motor, and the car is even faster. i foresee the car getting even quicker than it is now.

how did i do all this, MYSELF, i didnt follow the bandwagon and do everything everyone else did.

what may work good for someone weekend bracket racer isnt going to work for a weekend street car or a DD.

Its very simple. I thought to myself. Hm, if i get a head with bigger valve, air wont have as much velocity down low, you will really have to gas it and get the RPMS up to start screaming. I opted for a stock valved head with some porting, HM thumpers fit this bill perfect. make power down lower, a little more torque based for the street, where the rpms are fairly low and cant rap out the gears to 100 mph.

Then i thought, why get a huge intake that will outflow my heads, no point in that, i got a tmoss lower, and gasket matched my upper, it works perfect with the stock heads, on a stock engine they perform as a pair and with them both ported, they still work together great..

If you do this you are a moron. You obviously do not understand the properties of wood. If you are going to do something as retarded as this anyway, why would you bother posting a thread asking about it, then not listen to anyone and just argue that everyone is wrong just because they havn't done it themselves.

Your babling and complaining about people giving you bad advice in the past so your going to figure it out yourself. If I remember right you have given out your fair share of bad uneducated advice, does "E7 are side specific" ring any bells to you?

795.0pacecar said:
If you do this you are a moron. You obviously do not understand the properties of wood. If you are going to do something as retarded as this anyway, why would you bother posting a thread asking about it, then not listen to anyone and just argue that everyone is wrong just because they havn't done it themselves.

Your babling and complaining about people giving you bad advice in the past so your going to figure it out yourself. If I remember right you have given out your fair share of bad uneducated advice, does "E7 are side specific" ring any bells to you?

hey i am not perfect man lol at least i put in my input, i was misunderstood and now i know.

will i get around to making this wooden spacer. i doubt it, i work full time and there are more important things, but if i have time i might do it. I have talked to people that know what they are talking about and they think its possible.

if not, i work at a aluminum fab shop. we make valve covers and oil pans for alot of racing engines like sprint cars and drag racers, we have the tools a bandsaw i can cut metal with, a mill i can measure and make accurate ports for it. I can buy some alum bar stock and make it then.

or maybe that will crack and split and destroy my engine what do i know....

If you dont know dont add your .02 like its fact.

Making one from aluminum would be a 100% better idea, but still why bother with making one when you can spend $15 bucks on one already made and ready to go. Theres alot more to it then just cutting it out on a band saw, you have to cut it to follow the contours of the intake, then you have to cut out the actual intake ports which will be a pretty big task in itself because they are not perfectly round.

Hey man Im all for trying to do it for your self. You speak of mods that worked well for you, and thats great. I got my full weight, stock long block, (NA) GT vert to run high 13's on street tires, and 13.50's with DR's. I did it with used bolt on's and tried every trick Ive heard of, but I would have never risked putting a peice of wood on my engine any where. My vert was faster than some stangs with heads and cam on them because of all the little tricks that I tried, but like everyone else said .......why risk it. If you do it and it all goes terribly wrong dont put a post on here crying about it.

795.0pacecar said:
If you dont know dont add your .02 like its fact.

Making one from aluminum would be a 100% better idea, but still why bother with making one when you can spend $15 bucks on one already made and ready to go. Theres alot more to it then just cutting it out on a band saw, you have to cut it to follow the contours of the intake, then you have to cut out the actual intake ports which will be a pretty big task in itself because they are not perfectly round.

at the time i thought that i was correct, with my expierences with putting e7s on an engine, i saw the big hole for the thermactor and then the smaller hole for the PS stud and the front, it has some sort or metal deal inside of it. i only assumed that it was a side specific deal. that way u can put it on and not have to do anything to it... like get the plug

i think the ports wouldnt be too hard, take a big drill, or if your good with a mill or a router.

drill some holes, and take a die grinder and open it up to the gasket.
with a bandsaw for the outside, you can get it close and then finish it up with the diegrinder.

Foxfan88 said:
how did i do all this, MYSELF, i didnt follow the bandwagon and do everything everyone else did.

How many people on this site run A b-cam and ported stock heads and lower intake???? Im willing to bet the number is over 50.. And most people have moved beyond that. You try the wood spacer and when it breaks and pieces fall into your engine and it breaks i will drive out to buy your car and light it on fire in front of your house.. Also an intake spacer on an efi car adds no power they are mostly used for valve cover clearance..