03 differences

03SteedaGT

Oct 27, 2003
Knoxville, TN
I've been looking on here for awhile and I have heard so many different things. What are the changes that where made for the 03 models and are the 04's the exact same as the 03's. Please someone give me the right answers.

• Sponsors (?)

Well I can tell you the headrest on the GT premium, Mach I, and 10th aniversary Cobra (and 04 i assume) are much much better. They are higher and tilt forwards and backwards. That is the only thing I hate about my 01 GT.

Fast Eddie 2k1 said:
Well I can tell you the headrest on the GT premium, Mach I, and 10th aniversary Cobra (and 04 i assume) are much much better. They are higher and tilt forwards and backwards. That is the only thing I hate about my 01 GT.

I belive that the better headrest on the GT is part of the interior upgrade package and is not standard on the '03 - '04 GT's. You can buy the new headrests for about $155 each from Ford Part Network.

351CJ said:
I belive that the better headrest on the GT is part of the interior upgrade package and is not standard on the '03 - '04 GT's. You can buy the new headrests for about $155 each from Ford Part Network.

Yes that is correct for GT and standard for Mach I and newer Cobra. I have ordered one for driver side. I've asked people from Ford and other Mustang enthusist and they don't know if they will fit. But I'm going to try. I'm sure if it's not a direct swap then maybe the seat internals can be changed so the headrest will fit. I want those headrest, I'm 6 ft 2 in and my neck hurts after driving it. I need the support to prevent whiplash under WOT.

Engine-wise, didn't Ford go to the 24 lb injectors in 03? I heard that they were 21 lb injectors prior to 03. I thought I had heard this somewhere, but I can't vouch for its validity. Anyone know for sure?

Mid 2001 they switched to the 3650 tranny of course.
My 03 has a cargo net thing in the headliner where my 01 didnt.
The 04s have 40th anniversary badges on the fenders instead of GT badges.
In 2001 they bumped the compression to 9.4 and the motors were made at the Romeo plant.
The MAF is different in 2002 (dont remember in what way)
2001 they switched to the newer style spoiler, hood scoop and side scoop and had the bullit wheels on the premium models.

2001 Geee T said:
Mid 2001 they switched to the 3650 tranny of course.
My 03 has a cargo net thing in the headliner where my 01 didnt.
The 04s have 40th anniversary badges on the fenders instead of GT badges.
In 2001 they bumped the compression to 9.4 and the motors were made at the Romeo plant.
The MAF is different in 2002 (dont remember in what way)
2001 they switched to the newer style spoiler, hood scoop and side scoop and had the bullit wheels on the premium models.
They went from a 80mm to 85 mm MAF in 2002

Fast Eddie 2k1 said:
. I've asked people from Ford and other Mustang enthusist and they don't know if they will fit. But I'm going to try. I'm sure if it's not a direct swap then maybe the seat internals can be changed so the headrest will fit.

I found a link to a website where someone posted instructions on how to change the headrests. They will fit. You need to make up a piece of sheetmetal to slip down and release the old headrest (like a slim jim). Let me know how you make out, I'm 6'2 also and hate the headrests. Been debating whether to buy the headrests or spend the big $$ on Cobra seats. I hate the lack of side bolstering on the stock GT seats too. You can buy the Cobra seats from Ford, but they are aroudn $1,500 ea. :bang:

TomBadger said:
Engine-wise, didn't Ford go to the 24 lb injectors in 03? I heard that they were 21 lb injectors prior to 03. I thought I had heard this somewhere, but I can't vouch for its validity. Anyone know for sure?

I have an 03 and the injectors are pink, I heard pink were 24 lbs

The 04 6 disc changer is sirius ready
The open/close for the center a/c vents is gone, I believe that started in late 02 or 03
03-04 you can get the interior upgrade package
Gt's can get the polished 01 cobra wheels as an option

351CJ said:
I found a link to a website where someone posted instructions on how to change the headrests. They will fit. You need to make up a piece of sheetmetal to slip down and release the old headrest (like a slim jim). Let me know how you make out, I'm 6'2 also and hate the headrests. Been debating whether to buy the headrests or spend the big $$ on Cobra seats. I hate the lack of side bolstering on the stock GT seats too. You can buy the Cobra seats from Ford, but they are aroudn $1,500 ea. :bang:

Yes, that is exactly how to remove the old. The new one slides into place. If Autozone rents a kit, it would be better. We used a kit of slim jims.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-1/82254/headrest.JPG

I heard that the springs in the 03 got upraded. I think it was 400lbs front in 02 to 450lbs in 03 and 200lbs rear in 02 to 210lbs. Im not 100 positive on the change but I positive on it being 450 front by 210 rear.

Yeah, a 99 and 00 GT should have a windsor ontario truck block that runs 9:1 compression instead of the 01+ romeo plant 9.4:1 motors. Guys getting blowers can get a little more power out of the windsor blocks cause of the lower compression.

Also, I noticed this when I bought my 03 cobra and traded in my 02 GT--the pillars on either side of the windshield are thicker. Someone told me it was for more padding to help minimize the concussion you'd receive if you were to fly around the cabin in a collision.

-Jason

as far as cosmetics/safety features: 99 and 00 were pretty much the same except for child safety anchors or something along those lines. 01 is where they REALLY started looking sexy IMO; hood scoop, side scoops, new spoiler and imo a MUCH nicer center console arrangement (i swear that radio on the ones before 01 looks SO dated, ive seen really old minivans from the 80's with nicer ones) I hear the seats are more comfotable too. Around mid-02 they added a little cargo net... thats about all i know.

RED98Z28 said:
the 03s and up were suppose to have lower friction or drag pullies thus making them better but i dont know how much truth there is to that

Yea, I herd that also, but haven't found anybody with information to confirm. That's why some say underdrives are useless on the 03GT and are a waste of money.

As far as the 03 pink injectors mentioned earlier, they are 21lb, link

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsFORD.asp

:flag: