'05 Speaker upgrade

orthoguy

Oct 22, 2004
Michigan
I replaced the rear speakers in my '05 yesterday. I replaced them with Polk DB570 5x7 coaxial speakers with a RMS of 180 watts. The originals were 25 watt paper element fords. The sound is much better now (Shaker 500 system)

A little more bass and treble from the rear and a lot cleaner sound.

A bit of advice if you plan to replace the rears....Patience! You will need a star wrench T-20 or T-25 (I can't remember now which one I used, but it was one of the 2) A socket will not work....not enough room for the 2 screws closest to the window. you have to use the star wrench the ones that look like an Allen wrench.

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the updates. I figured the rears would be a good place to start as far as speaker upgrades. I'm sure I can get a pair for the rear quite cheap. I want a new head unit, but I haven't found a reasonably priced double din with the features of the stock one.

I don't like how the stock one chokes on some Mp3s, but I like how its a 6 CD changes (very cool!). The road noise auto-volume control is a really nice feature too! But really, I want something that has a built in viewer for Serius satellite. I what something with multiple lines of text so I can see what is playing.

Also, is there a way to make text scroll on the stock HU for Mp3s?

Thanks again for the post.

I'm assuming front/back were all 5x7s. I'm going to put my own stereo in but wasn't sure of the exact measurements. There's a couple Double-DINs out there I only wish I could afford, not that I'd need anything like that.

orthoguy said:
I replaced the rear speakers in my '05 yesterday. I replaced them with Polk DB570 5x7 coaxial speakers with a RMS of 180 watts. The originals were 25 watt paper element fords. The sound is much better now (Shaker 500 system)

A bit of advice if you plan to replace the rears....Patience! You will need a star wrench T-20 or T-25 (I can't remember now which one I used, but it was one of the 2) A socket will not work....not enough room for the 2 screws closest to the window. you have to use the star wrench the ones that look like an Allen wrench.

Mike

I was thinking of doing this myself. Can you tell a big difference?
Crutchfield says The factory speakers are subwoofers and receive only bass frequencies from the amplifier. If replaced with aftermarket speakers, the aftermarket speakers will only reproduce bass. So I was just wondering is the it worth the price to change them.

I think the ones in the rear are full range speakers, but the doors have two different sets. One is a woofer (8" round i believe) and another is full range (5x7) I believe. I doubt the woofer is ONLY getting sub frequencies, more likely it can only produce certain frequencies -- but I may be wrong on this. I've just never heard of a head unit having dual sub outs for the doors, then another line out for the shaker1000 setup.

I don't know of anyone posting about tearing apart the door, but the doors may be setup in a loop fashion. There is a name for this, but I forgot. That's how my VW was setup with the tweeters in the door.

oatmealr said:
I think the ones in the rear are full range speakers, but the doors have two different sets. One is a woofer (8" round i believe) and another is full range (5x7) I believe. I doubt the woofer is ONLY getting sub frequencies, more likely it can only produce certain frequencies -- but I may be wrong on this. I've just never heard of a head unit having dual sub outs for the doors, then another line out for the shaker1000 setup.

I don't know of anyone posting about tearing apart the door, but the doors may be setup in a loop fashion. There is a name for this, but I forgot. That's how my VW was setup with the tweeters in the door.

According to Crutchfield the rear deck speakers are bass only.

As far as the rear speaker being bass only (just underneath the rear glass window), I wouldn't say this is true. There is a setting in the stereo to tune the sound for the rear seats, and pushing the volume to the back you can clearly hear the treble coming from those speakers. I can do some more fiddling around, but I am not about to do any crazy upgrades just yet, so I'm not the best person to be doing the investigative work=)

As for the 6.5".... why? There is a dual setup in the door, a woofer to produce bass in the doors, and a seperate speaker (I believe 5x7) to produce midbass and treble. You can just replace these with same size parts and not have to worry about modding too much.

oatmealr said:
As far as the rear speaker being bass only (just underneath the rear glass window), I wouldn't say this is true. There is a setting in the stereo to tune the sound for the rear seats, and pushing the volume to the back you can clearly hear the treble coming from those speakers. I can do some more fiddling around, but I am not about to do any crazy upgrades just yet, so I'm not the best person to be doing the investigative work=)

As for the 6.5".... why? There is a dual setup in the door, a woofer to produce bass in the doors, and a seperate speaker (I believe 5x7) to produce midbass and treble. You can just replace these with same size parts and not have to worry about modding too much.

oatmealr,
Do you have the 1000 or the 500?

Chaotic Bliss said:
Does anyone know how hard or easy it would be to put a set of 6.5" components up front (in the Shaker 500)? Will they fit where the 8" woofer is suppose to go?

Thanks

This is what I will be doing.

I am putting a 4" components set up front (MB Quart) where the 5x7's are and replace the 8" woofer with a 6.5" mid-bass speaker. I am going to make an adapter from MBF to fit the 6.5" speaker. IMO...having two 8" woofers upfront is over kill...expecially if your going my route and putting dual 10"s or 12"s in the trunk. You will have TOO much bass, and having 3 speakers in each door will give you a very full sound. I still need to find 3 way crossovers though. I am thinking for the rear deck...a pair of 6.5" or 5.25" components. And one or two JL 10w6v2's in the trunk.

Oh, and it has been my experience that round speakers sound better than 5x7s, 6x9s, etc. just my .02

orthoguy said:

Mike
the stock spears are only 25 watt on the interior speakers? that blows, cuz you pay good money for a shaker system and they give you crap interior speakers. i'm not going with the shaker then. i'll just do all infinity like in my current ride. or polks, and i could do it for a little more then half the price of a shaker 1000. i'm getting 2 12 inch infinity subs 6x9 kappas in the rear and kappa 61/2's up front with on 4 channel amp and a 2 channel for the subs.

I also replaced the rear speakers yesterday. Definitely 5x7 full range, bass and treble, crappy little 25 watt paper speaker, worth about 15 bucks, not that any reputable speaker company would sell it aftermarket. Much better highs, mids, and bass now. Installed a set of Pioneer 6x8 4 ways. Not the best speaker out there but cheap, and the sound is amazing for what I paid for them, about 65 shipped. I'm no stranger to Car Audio, and I have MB Quart, Phoenix Gold, and Adire Audio in the Titan, and let me tell you, for 65 bucks hooked up to the stock stereo (Shak'r 500), the sound can't be beat. I got another set just like them (Wallmart, $75 plus tax) to go in the doors, putting them in this weekend. If you wan't good sound on a budget, the Pioneers are the way to go. Don't get me wrong, a lot better stuff out there, but the Mustang already sounds better than the Titan, and I've got about a grand in the Titan and only a hundred fifty in the Mustang. I'm all about getting the most "bang for the buck".

I doubt I'll ever get rid of the stock stereo. 6 disk in dash w/MP3, under warranty for 3/36, and ain't no theif going to steal a stock stereo when there is an Alpine or better in the car next to it. The stock stereo sounds really good anyway, MUCH better than most stock stereos I've heard. The Titan's is a peice of FOD (trash).

As far as the subs in the door, they must be on there own line, because wether you fade full back, of full front, their output is the same. Sound good with Pioneer's, btw. :)

Time for aftermarket amps and subs later.

orthoguy said:

Mike

A good ting to do when replacing the rear speakers (5x7 / 6x8) is to replace the "torx" screws with some bolts / nut / washers and lock rings. By removing the screws and the attachment base (plastic base for the screws to mount into) you can just drop the bolts through the holes from the top and attach the nuts and lock rings / washers from the bottom. ALso, it solves the rattle you get from the speaker being lifted off the metal deck by a hair with the plastic mounts.

golfer said:
I was thinking of doing this myself. Can you tell a big difference?
Crutchfield says The factory speakers are subwoofers and receive only bass frequencies from the amplifier. If replaced with aftermarket speakers, the aftermarket speakers will only reproduce bass. So I was just wondering is the it worth the price to change them.
I bought a set of 5x8's from Crutchfield and replaced my rear speakers. They definitely put out full range sound from the rear. What is cool about buying from them is that they supply the connector for the wiring harness.